Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Hell, I was there. That was the title of a book by an old time shooter. But you knew that.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Yes I did know that

It was also a phrase I heard a lot while growing up. Figured it fitting here. In both ways.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dryheat View Post
    Hell, I was there. That was the title of a book by an old time shooter. But you knew that.
    good read too

I miss Goo, Sukey, Geoffery the Cruel Conservative, Guam, the Aussie guy that really knew his British rifles (can't recall his name offhand but he was also a pilot) a lot of the names go back to the Gun and Knife days. I pretty much slacked off on posting when the actual gun forums became secondary to the political stuff

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Viking Guy View Post
    I miss Goo, Sukey, Geoffery the Cruel Conservative, Guam, the Aussie guy that really knew his British rifles (can't recall his name offhand but he was also a pilot) a lot of the names go back to the Gun and Knife days. I pretty much slacked off on posting when the actual gun forums became secondary to the political stuff
    sounds like a guy from Gunboards called Vulch,

Yep, Vulch it is. Thanks

Vulch / Lewis Maynard was a great help to many in the old days. At the time he was living in Mooloolaba QLD.
    Something happened as his online personality took a turn for the worse. Enough to be bounced as a moderator and eventually totally banned from one site where he founded a couple of forums.
    I miss the old Lewis, but the last version I surely do not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Vulch / Lewis Maynard was a great help to many in the old days. At the time he was living in Mooloolaba QLD.
    Something happened as his online personality took a turn for the worse. Enough to be bounced as a moderator and eventually totally banned from one site where he founded a couple of forums.
    I miss the old Lewis, but the last version I surely do not.

he is still a sore subject in certain sections of that site,,,

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    he is still a sore subject in certain sections of that site,,,
    Yes. Most definitely, but I don't think it prudent to elaborate much further. Stick with the known facts and that's that AFAIC. Too much gossip intertwined with the story.
    Although half the gossip and half the truths are equally juicy. Tough to tell which is which.

10. Default

I have a book that is signed by the Author; he claims there are no second best.

I knew Tarleton, outside the Internet. We had a friend that attended Tarleton State, I spent more time off line and on the phone with them than 'on line'. Our friend was a resource person on anything military like rifles and pistols. I purchased a mill from him, when I picked it up he asked me if I knew anything about head space. I said "Yes, and if you have a question this is your lucky day. He had made a bad choice when he asked a question on the 03 forum on the old CSP. By the time the second page had rolled around the members had turned on each other and had started on him.

He had tools, he had a cigar size box full of head space gages, I was impressed. And then I reminded him he knew there was not one gage in that box that would fit his chamber. He agreed, one was too short and two were too long, I explained to him I could measure the length of the chamber with any one of the three gages 'in thousandths'.

I asked him what ammo he was going to use to test fire the rifle, he responded with Remington green box 30/06. So we began; I chambered one of his 30/06 round into the chamber; after measuring I informed him his chamber was .0075" longer than a go-gage length chamber.

He then asked me about a bolt that would reduce the length of the chamber by .0025"; I explained to him I had 35 03 and O3A3 bolts none of which would reduce the length of the chamber. All of my bolts were the same. After that I demonstrated the use of the no go-gage when determining the length of the chamber, after that I demonstrated the use of a field reject length gage; he contacted John Beard in an effort to locate a straight handle 03 bolt that would off set the length of the chamber .0025". I do not know what was decided because no one called me to check the fit of the bolts John sent him; there is nothing like ordering a bucket of bolts when it only requires one bolt to correct the length of the chamber.

And then there was AKA, you guys were happy as long as he was not insulting you. And then there was All Confederate, he decided he would sue CSP members, there were three of them in Michigan. They called me when they felt threatened, it was about that time I needed to determine where he lived.

CSP had a lot of trouble staying hooked up to the Internet. I offered to find main frames, all I asked for was help in shopping. I did purchase a few small ones with 5 power supplies, 10 processors with a long row of memory sticks. I was so proud, when the wife came home and informed me it sounded like she was living in a wind tunnel I knew I was not going to be allowed to operate processors from here. And hard drives? There was no end to them and it was possible to swap them out while it was running.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 02-08-2021 at 08:50.