Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Soldiers of the 357th Reg, 90th Div

F0F4BDB3-276E-4F77-B00F-871606B6356A.jpg

Interesting Battle of the Bulge photo. More carbines than M1s.

Could be HQ Company type troops?
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

If you watched Saving Pvt. Ryan you might recognize the scenery. Not saying SPR was there, but Spielberg knew what it should look like.
    I always look for the Garand, but I see the Carbines too. Makes you wonder. Were they democrats?
    Last edited by dryheat; 01-29-2021 at 10:12.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Carbine vs garand. Troops always liked the lighter carrying weight of the carbine until (especially in Winter) it took multiple hits with the carbine to put down the enemy. The garand would put them down with a good torso hit.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
    Could be HQ Company type troops?
    There were more Garands than carbines authorized for both infantry battalion HHC and infantry regiment HHC, so not sure logic supports your theory. Back to the drawing board.

Being strictly USN, forgive my lack of knowledge. Did a WW2 foot soldier have a choice in which rifle he would carry into combat? A few pounds difference seems like a small price to pay for the ability to shoot through things. The M1 and the BAR shot the same round. The BAR just delivered them all at once, if desired. Heavy as Hell. Can’t imagine being on the receiving end.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Being strictly USN, forgive my lack of knowledge. Did a WW2 foot soldier have a choice in which rifle he would carry into combat? A few pounds difference seems like a small price to pay for the ability to shoot through things. The M1 and the BAR shot the same round. The BAR just delivered them all at once, if desired. Heavy as Hell. Can’t imagine being on the receiving end.
    No...and yes. An individual soldier's weapon was (and is) authorized on the Table of Organization and Equipment (TO&E.) So if the TO&E said you were authorized an M1 an M1 was what you were issued. That was known to change in the field where soldiers would sometimes acquire a weapon they weren't authorized under the TO&E and most of the time nothing was said about it, at least in front line units. This sometimes included captured weapons.

I read a book on the "Band of Brothers" soldiers regarding their equipment and the consensus of these men seemed to be that the M1 was the preferred personal weapon in the Airborne right up to and including Field Grade Officers. Major Winters did indeed carry an M1.

Interestingly the production of M1 Carbines in WWII exceeded that of M1 Rifles, so a lot of guys were being issued the little rifles.
    Last edited by Art; 01-30-2021 at 08:37.

The M1 must have seemed like a Star Wars weapon to the WW2 soldiers compared to the ‘03. So advanced and powerful. Target acquisition simplified. Aim and pull the trigger 8 times.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    No...and yes. An individual soldier's weapon was (and is) authorized on the Table of Organization and Equipment (TO&E.) So if the TO&E said you were authorized an M1 an M1 was what you were issued. That was known to change in the field where soldiers would sometimes acquire a weapon they weren't authorized under the TO&E and most of the time nothing was said about it, at least in front line units. This sometimes included captured weapons.

I read a book on the "Band of Brothers" soldiers regarding their equipment and the consensus of these men seemed to be that the M1 was the preferred personal weapon in the Airborne right up to and including Field Grade Officers. Major Winters did indeed carry an M1.

Interestingly the production of M1 Carbines in WWII exceeded that of M1 Rifles, so a lot of guys were being issued the little rifles.
    Art--

Quite true. I was in the first year of the last Gulf war. My TO&E weapon was a M9 Beretta Pistol. I felt like I was running around naked with that "pop" gun while the Iraqi were generally armed with AK series of weapons. Under the TO&E, the local infantry was to provide security for us. Well, that did not happen, they were busy just protecting themselves. TO&E are written by desk bound idiots who have no clue of reality. In order to protect myself I found a Yugo M70AB2 AK Series with a folding metal stock which lying in the desert. Magazines were easy to get. I also got some American made 7.62x39 rounds from the SOF folks that station next to our compound. We were a moltly looking bunch with AK, Sterlings and a few Stens and PPSH41s thrown in. We kept these until they could emergency ship us some M16A2 from the states. They were interesting times.