Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN COOK View Post
    Is Wise potato chip company the same as Wise Survival Foods ??

John in SC
    ready wise makes the survival stuff,

not wise chips is now mexican owned,

ready wise makes the survival stuff,

not wise chips is now mexican owned,
    Thanks,

John in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Just my $.02 worth. Canned goods are good for years longer than the "best if used before xx/xx/2022" dates. Dried foods like Rice, beans, and pasta are still a source of carbs for many years. Protein powders are good forever as are multi vitamin pills.

Food is easy... water, shelter, and heat are the factors you need to pay attention to>

Again JMHO

Red has many good points on this, food is around us if one is willing to recognize and eat it. EVERY TIME we go to the store we bring home something we can use. Since my wife and daughter work where groceries are sold, this is easy to do. Also when the store first opens many food items have just been discounted so I am there to get what we need.
    Considering food, I pity those who have just beans and rice as they are cheap and easy to store. They will be surprised if no water is available and how beans and rice are bulk food for one's system. We eat these on a regular basis so our system is attuned to them.
    Since ammo/components are hard to come by I am turning to CO2 for my continuing practice and recreation. Also these are great for quiet potting of animals for food/pest control without attracting too much attention. If need be many can also be used for anti-personal in an emergency.
    Sam

Blog Entries

one thing to consider, re the expiration dates,

the Sell By dates are a relatively modern thing,

when I started work in the grocery biz back in 1980,, no can foods had a date,
    at least not a date in the traditional since, (Month\day\year)

everything had a code on the can, to tell you , if you knew the code, when it was made and the plant or line,

even lunchmeats were code dated, and some were marked 'good 7 days beyond this date if opened' or similar

6. Default

I think civilians spend a ton of money and wasted effort on "survival foods". All of a sudden we are not going to have a year of North Korean food shortages. There is wisdom to have some food stuff in case of storms and natural disasters and on that track I'd recommend:

a. Spam. I hate the stuff but it lasts a long time, doesn't spoil quickly ( how could it, with all the formaldehyde in it ) and has a ton of energy if you really need it. Eat it out of can or fry it, its an easy solution for an emergency. I used to have a can of it , wrapped in 100 MPH tape always on my battle harness inside an ammo pouch. That was my iron ration if I ever had to escape and evade. The lid when taken off can be a signal mirror, the edges of lid and can are knife sharp if you got cutting to do. The one can of spam can keep you moving for a week if rationed properly and as said it don't spoil.

B. Rice: buy 25# of rice and keep in air tight container. You can eat rice for a long time and its good trading material if times get tough.

C. Instant mash potatoes can't be beat. Easy prep and a pack will feed 4 for a meal.

D. Those Chunky soups as stated above. Get two cases (mixed menu of cans). Add rice and one can can feed two people for a day, maybe two.

What else more do you really need that the above. Really nothing much more at all. Canned fruit or dried fruit would be a bonus.

I see no reason to stock up on Mountain House or MRE prepared food supplies.

The only thing I do recommend to stock deep and not ever chance running out of is coffee. Rack it and stack it deep.

Right now we are taste testing instant mashed potatoes and powdered milk to see which we like. As to Spam, our favorites are the hickory/bacon ones. Something else neglected are various spices besides salt and pepper. We prefer to use hand grinders for our salt and pepper to get the texture and flavor.
    Wine/whiskey can be used for many other purposes then sheer enjoyment. Also, raw honey is a necessity in our pantry and medical supplies. Honey is one of natures perfect foods in my opinion.
    Sam

8. Default

Powdered milk is skim milk,if that's a consideration.

Sampling survival foods? I'd rather wait until I was desperate so they taste good!
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

10. Default

Powdered/skim milk tastes best when it's icy cold and been allowed to cure, say, overnight.
    When I was at Fort Bragg in 1969 we ate Korean War vintage C-rations. Tasted fine, the standard complaint was even if you got your 3 meals a day they provided no where near enough calories. In Boy Scouts we found the portions of the dehydrated trail foods to small.