Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Wise is awful. Have your bought their chips? Our local downhome grocer is selling them. Don't let saving 10 cents prevent you from buying stuff that tastes good. But you shouldn't be relying on Carbs anyway.
    Last edited by dryheat; 01-29-2021 at 11:07.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
    Feed your neighbors cookies, and keep them in range.
    Or: Feed your local democrats cookies. ;-)

Even more important than food is water. You will need 1 gallon per person per day. You can buy distilled water in plastic jugs for less than a dollar at many supermarkets. It is also a good idea to keep a bottle of Clorox Bleach to purify contaminated water. You can find the amount to use on Google.

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    Even more important than food is water. You will need 1 gallon per person per day. You can buy distilled water in plastic jugs for less than a dollar at many supermarkets. It is also a good idea to keep a bottle of Clorox Bleach to purify contaminated water. You can find the amount to use on Google.
    We have been using a British Berkenfield water purifier for about 5 years on our "city" water. One would be amazed what is in the "clean" tap water. I can collect rain water from our metal roof and then run this thru a coffee filter before hitting the Berky. I also have access to a small clear pond that has little pond scum to filter.
    Sam

Correct.

To me the biggest problem with freeze dried emergency food is the large amount of water required to rehydrate and cook it.

I'm of the impression distilled water isn't very good in the long haul. Most of the the things water carries which are good for you have been removed, such as all the minerals we require. If relying on distilled then you'll need to supplement your diet.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

While it is true that the minerals in distilled water have been removed it's also true that distilled water is sterile. Since it is sterile it doesn't have to be treated down the road to kill bacteria so can be stored almost indefinitely if the container it comes in isn't compromised. Other forms of water sterilization are not as permanent which is why folks keep bleach on hand to keep it safe.

A large majority of our mineral intake comes from diet so mineral deficiency from water should be made up without too much trouble.
    Last edited by Art; 02-01-2021 at 06:07.

8. Default

Recall from my Boy Scout days that boiling is THE way to sterilize water, makes it a little blah, beats getting germs in one's system.

I did a tour of duty the NavCommSta in Morocco in the early 1960s and the base had its own water purification plant, but those sailors who chose to live off base were told to treat their drinking water by adding a few drops of bleach to 5 gallons. Bottled water didn’t exist like it does today. Didn’t matter much. IIRC, most existed on beer (not kidding).

Wise is awful. Have your bought their chips? Our local downhome grocer is selling them. Don't let saving 10 cents prevent you from buying stuff that tastes good. But you shouldn't be relying on Carbs anyway.
    Is Wise potato chip company the same as Wise Survival Foods ??

John in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)