Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Obscure Info #2 – Model of 1922 Bolt-Stop

Except for a fleeting comment in Brophy’s book, little is said about the presents of a bolt-stop on the Model of 1922 rifle. To ease single-round feeding, the bolt-stop feature was designed to hold the bolt open, in its rear-ward most position, while the muzzle was pointed at the ground. More when half of the 2020 M1922 receivers were milled for the bolt-stop. Serial number 1546 has this feature, while serial numbers 1807 and 1949 do not.

The bolt-stop is a flat spring with an integrated pin. The pin seats in a hole in the receiver’s left-side bolt track. The flat-spring is seated in a milled slot just forward of the trigger assembly. As the bolt is drawn rear-ward the spring loaded pin will mate with a detent located on the bottom of the bolt extractor.

Obviously, the feature was discontinued between serial number 1546 and 1807. To narrow this range down, I would appreciate anyone owning a Model of 1922 posting if their rifle has this feature. If you do not wish to publicly post your SN, you can PM me the information.

Thanks,

Art

Bolt-Stop Assembly
    oPZsSGQ.jpg
    Hole for Bolt-Stop Pin
    Roa9k6O.jpg
    Hole with Pin Inserted
    Q8eQUSb.jpg
    No Hole Present
    aWCHCIv.jpg
    Bolt Detent on Extractor
    9uTcKdC.jpg

2. Default

OK, there goes the WE! Gotta find all the babies!😂

3. Default

1284 has the hole, but no bolt stop.

761 has the stop in place (BTW this rifle has grasping grooves)

More to follow!

Just how many babies are we talking about?

5. Default

Barrel date 8/22
    Hole present without bolt stop

Kragrifle,

Thank you for checking your rifles and providing the data.

It appears that there are two transitions, (1) when they stopped installing the bolt-stops and (2) when they stopped milling the receiver for it.

Come on guys, I know there are a few more M1922s out there.

Art

7. Default

My rifle sn 798 barrel date 8-22, has no hole. Also my stock has grasping groves.

8. Default

SN 1930-no hole

9. Default

1202 A Hole, no bolt stop

1703 No hole!

Barrel date 8-22
    Hole present without bolt stop. Upon close examination of the ejector with a 10 power loupe it appears that the bolt stop was present but removed very early in the life of the rifle. There is a very tiny bright spot at the back of the ejector where it would push down the bolt stop. No wear around the detent.
    J.J.