Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default It's just one thing after another.

I am not surprised at all that Gun Broker has instituted State Tax. I don't think it was really GB, but we have to pay for all this stimulus somehow. I am actually grateful for the many years that I have done business on the net and never paid any tax. It is a little bit of a shock. In addition to having to add in the cost of FFL documentation, shipping, and now state tax at the other end I wonder how the gun business will survive? It will survive. $ goes up. We adjust to it. Twenty years from now, your ordinary '03 will be 1,200. Or maybe not. Things move incrementally.
    Last edited by dryheat; 01-03-2021 at 09:47.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Sales taxes vary a bit by state. I remember once stopping by the North Store on the way to Pittsburgh and picking out a nice service grade in GI wood (all the rest in the racks were pumpkin orange, but I digress).

They said I could take it with and pay OH sales tax or choose the shipping fee with no tax. I told them to ship it, that being the cheaper option.

But with the new GB rules, at least everyone will know what to say expect when they bid.

Blog Entries

if you buy it in the state you live in from a LGS you have to pay Sales Tax, so one way or another they will get you,

I expect the listings on GB to stay the same, in a month or 3 the folks will quite bitching,

my understanding (from maybe a dozen or so transactions) is that in Cali, if you buy a firearm and have it shipped to your LGS\Dealer in Cali, that you have to provide proof you paid tax or the LGS has to ,

Business on the internet finds itself subject to the same laws as those of regular bricks and mortar businesses. If a item is purchased in person where one is not a resident, sales tax is paid. If a item is purchased in person where one is resident, sales tax is paid. Everyone is treated exactly the same regardless of what is their state of residence, i.e., they pay prevailing state sales tax on a purchase. On line sellers will have to recon with sales tax as part of the cost of doing business, same as any other retailer. Cool. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

If dryheat doesn't mind a little thread drift got me wondering....what is my best GB "bargain" over the years?

Probably a small one...a guy had some pulled M14A1 bullets, paint intact, no marks, buy now at $120 for a bag of 100. He sold me another 100 off auction for an additional $100. Not a great bullet but not common either, they will sell for $4-5 each these days, $2-3 back then. I don't think the seller understood what he had.
    Last edited by togor; 01-04-2021 at 08:34.

Blog Entries

The state list is small now, but no doubt more will be added.

Thank you for the heads up, as I don't use Gunbroker much anymore.

https://support.gunbroker.com/hc/en-...Tax-Collection
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    If dryheat doesn't mind a little thread drift got me wondering....what is my best GB "bargain" over the years?

Probably a small one...a guy had some pulled M14A1 bullets, paint intact, no marks, buy now at $120 for a bag of 100. He sold me another 100 off auction for an additional $100. Not a great bullet but not common either, they will sell for $4-5 each these days, $2-3 back then. I don't think the seller understood what he had.
    I have looked a thousands of guns on GB. I have bid on many hundreds. Mostly just to get them on my Watch List for fun. Some I'm serious about. I'm not the eagle eye I used to be. Once in a while a blind hog stumbles over an acorn.
    Now, my sharp eyed buddy got a Garand that he noticed had a flat looking butt plate. He won the rifle and sold the early butt plate for some unbelievable figure.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

8. Default

Bought stuff from a top end AR parts outfit a while back. Sales tax rate was the highest in the region. Their explanation was they use a third party service to collect the tax and forward to the local entity. On the other hand, Dillon has a person who actually looks at the shipping address and finds the correct tax rate.
    My instinct is the third party service was scamming buyers and the tax folks.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by barretcreek View Post
    Bought stuff from a top end AR parts outfit a while back. Sales tax rate was the highest in the region. Their explanation was they use a third party service to collect the tax and forward to the local entity. On the other hand, Dillon has a person who actually looks at the shipping address and finds the correct tax rate.
    My instinct is the third party service was scamming buyers and the tax folks.
    third party charges a percentage for every transaction, and that percentage is paid by you when you buy something from you,

GB does something similar with shipping,
    if you use the GB checkout as a seller and use their shipping generator, it is higher than using USPS Click n Ship

ebay also jacks around with shipping cost

I believe that it was Benjamin Franklin who famously said that the only two certainties are death and taxes. There is no escape from either and to put taxes in perspective, I was just reading an article from the Fraser Institute (a somewhat conservative Canadian think tank) that the average Canadian family pays 42.6% of its gross income in taxes of one sort or another. I think that taxes in the USA are somewhat smaller so be thankful for small mercies.