Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Rob, that is a really nice bit of work you've done there!

jn

You're entirely welcome, and what you did was EXACTLY what I meant - there IS enough wood there to do a perfect job, if removed a bit at a time - and yours turned out beautifully!!

I'll go out on a limb here and hazard a guess (since the wood is SO fragile at that point) that even SA, or a repair depot, might have resorted to the trick a time or two - but we'll never know.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 02-16-2021 at 10:29.

3. Default

How did you make the forward part of the handguard that is a lighter colored wood?

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    How did you make the forward part of the handguard that is a lighter colored wood?
    I believe that is simply a photo of where he had finished filing/sanding, but before he stained the raw spot. The beauty of this "conversion" is that the needed wood is all there, you just have to expose it VERY carefully, little by little, working like a sculptor. If done properly, the modified piece would be exactly like the real thing, and if "SUPER-well-done" would be absolutely indistinguishable.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    As Dick said below, it is showing how it looks after the excess wood was taken off, before staining. All I used was a utility knife and a dovetail saw, and a little bit of sandpaper.

6. Default

Very well done!