Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Carbine Hand Guard Source

Would anyone have an idea were to find a hand guard for a Krag carbine 1896 sight? I have a nice M1898 carbine that the hand guard was badly damaged.
    The place in Georgia that makes decent repro's seems to have halted production for awhile. Finding an original is very difficult and expensive.
    Thanks.

If done carefully, a virtually perfect (and basically undetectable) M96C guard can be made from an M96R guard, which are more available, and cheaper, than the real thing. Work slowly using fine tools to produce the short tenon which just fits into the barrel band. Of course, such work should be made clear to a prospective buyer. Repros are fine, but can never approach the appearance of the real thing, as, no matter what is done to them they always look too fresh around the rivets.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 12-29-2020 at 08:35.

I agree with Dick, that original Krag hand-guards are much nicer than reproductions.

S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y., may currently have reproduction Krag hand-guards.

A couple of years back, I picked-up an original model 1896 rifle hand-guard, that was basically ruined.
    Someone had lengthened the sight-opening, toward the front, to accommodate a model 1901 Krag sight.

This allowed a 'guilt free' hand-guard alteration, (like Dick Hosmer mentioned). In this case, it reclaimed a hand-guard,
    that was otherwise a gross eyesore.

The attached photos show the altered model 1896 rifle hand-guard on a "faux-carbine". It would look 'reputable' on a real model 1896 carbine.

(FWIW - No good Krag parts were harmed in building this shooter).

a projec96-7.jpga project96-9.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 12-29-2020 at 01:30.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    If done carefully, a virtually perfect (and basically undetectable) M96C guard can be made from an M96R guard, which are more available, and cheaper, than the real thing. Work slowly using fine tools to produce the short tenon which just fits into the barrel band. Of course, such work should be made clear to a prospective buyer. Repros are fine, but can never approach the appearance of the real thing, as, no matter what is done to them they always look too fresh around the rivets.
    Interesting, I never thought of that. Converting one would be no problem for me since my profession for the last 35 years has been 18th and 19th furniture restoration and reproductions. Still, most of the loose hand guards I see are for the 1898/1902 sight. I even have an extra guard for a 1902 sight. Thanks for the help.

"No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

6. Default

1896 sight rifle handguards are running over $200 on EBay if you can find them,

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Kragrifle View Post
    1896 sight rifle handguards are running over $200 on EBay if you can find them,
    I bought one a couple of years ago to do the conversion, at that time they were under $200. It is still in rifle configuration, I can't bring myself to cut up a complete good condition handguard even to make an even scarcer carbine one. I continue to look for one with a damaged front end to do the job.

If you still need a hand guard for the 1896 sight contact me. I have an original hand guard. As noted, these are not cheap.
    "Three people can keep a secret as long as two of them are dead" Mark Twain

9. Default

Interested

10. Default

Taking Dick Hosmer's suggestion about a M96R hand guard, I was able to make a M96C hand guard for my M98C carbine. I tracked down a M96R hand guard from an friend. It had some damage under the front end along with a crack. With a little bit of work was able to turn it into a nice looking carbine hand guard. Thanks Dick for the suggestion.IMG_9928.jpgIMG_9926.jpgIMG_9936.jpgIMG_9937.jpgIMG_9939.jpg