Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Picked up a NPM

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Beautiful carbine! Still looking for one. Merry Christmas! Sincerely. bruce.
    Bruce, Chuck has more to sell. Some for more $, some for less. He's at the CMP forum more often than here, you could PM him there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    It didn't come cheap at $2K even.

This was out of a lot that chuckindenver just picked up and those pics are his. Everyone wants a "$700 shooter" these days, he says, and there weren't any of those in his pile.

He gave me a 3-day inspection so I rolled the dice on getting a carbine that was issued and used but otherwise not messed with and this one appears to fit the bill. Bore is good and generally clean, with a bit of copper in it. I'll clean the bore some but otherwise leave it as-is, including the gunk in the extractor and trigger housing. With so many restored carbines out there I figure there will be a market for those that are not messed with. For example the receiver ring has hardened linseed oil residue on it, blackened with dirt and age, some of which got below the wood line. In my view, better left there.

But first block, 6-43 barrel, correct stamps from what I see, no rework marks anywhere, linseed oil finish that is long cured, no sanding on the stock, I'm glad to own it.

Alas Chuck says the oilers and slings went in a different direction.
    he had posted that haul over on Gunboards as well, when he picked them up,

got them from a long term collector, looked like a very nice pile of not just carbines

Alas Chuck says the oilers and slings went in a different direction.
    Didn’t know Chuck was still around. Is he posting anywhere?

John in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN COOK View Post
    Didn’t know Chuck was still around. Is he posting anywhere?

John in SC
    I've seen him on the CMP forum, lyman says gunboards.

Toggie...I have a mint WWII carbine sling ...Mfg and dated stamped sling if interested give me a call..Ray

Did you get the photo I sent you of the sling?
    Last edited by rayg; 12-27-2020 at 07:15.

6. Default

Have you got side shots of the rear sight? Something looks like it needs clarifying about it.
    Also, in 5th image looks like it has bayonet band wear and dirt?
    Have you got an overhead shot of the nose of the stock showing the band impression?

Quote Originally Posted by M1C View Post
    Have you got side shots of the rear sight? Something looks like it needs clarifying about it.
    Also, in 5th image looks like it has bayonet band wear and dirt?
    Have you got an overhead shot of the nose of the stock showing the band impression?
    RN/S marked unstaked rear sight base and RN peep. No type 2 or 3 band impression on the stock nose. Front NN sight, no service marks, finish does not match the Underwood barrel. Single punch on the barrel top about 6" behind the front sight.
    Last edited by togor; 12-25-2020 at 02:22.

8. Default

RN is a clean maker of sights, but side shots would clarify what makes people say, hmmm, are we sure about that?
    Especially when image 5 shows grime from the barrel band that appears to be where a type III band has been.
    Have shots of those to confirm or is it something you'd rather not show about the Carbine?
    Thanks for any info. But it makes a difference to other buyers.

Quote Originally Posted by M1C View Post
    RN is a clean maker of sights, but side shots would clarify what makes people say, hmmm, are we sure about that?
    Especially when image 5 shows grime from the barrel band that appears to be where a type III band has been.
    Have shots of those to confirm or is it something you'd rather not show about the Carbine?
    Thanks for any info. But it makes a difference to other buyers.
    This carbine is deserving of a proper photo spread. But as you know, that takes time. It's on the list.

10. Default

It might deserve one, but it doesn't take but a few minutes to snap a couple shots. The ones you've already provided aren't photo album worthy, so something quick and simple like that would be great. Those shots would solidify the Carbine. Seems odd they aren't included when they are what Carbine people look for specifically.