Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trimming the final step in brass preparation.

Ran 500 cases through my Giraud trimmer this morning as the final step in brass preparation. They are now ready for priming later today. Only takes about 1 second per case with the Giraud. Whatta Hobby!

Brass trimming.jpg

Trimming should be the second step if it's required. First is checking lengths with a vernier. Then chamfering and deburring after, but you only trim if the case is longer than the max case length. It's not a 'regular' thing.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Blog Entries

the good thing about a Giraud and a Gracey is, you don't have to measure each case,

you set the machine to cut at the correct length, (press the shoulder of the round into a 'die' or sorts) and the trimmer trims if necessary,

if it is still a bit short, then no trimming done,

when I was shooting service rifle, I ran my brass thru a Gracey trimmer about every 2-3 reloads, (very little stretch)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Trimming should be the second step if it's required. First is checking lengths with a vernier. Then chamfering and deburring after, but you only trim if the case is longer than the max case length. It's not a 'regular' thing.
    It is for me. I run all my brass over the Giraud, just in case a long one got in the mix. Only takes a second. Last step after the second trip through the Thumler and dryer. I also anneal more than most, but I am a stickler for neck tension.

"...you don't have to measure each case..." You don't with a vernier either. You lock it at the max case length and use it as a gauge.
    No need to clean more than once. Annealing isn't a regular step either. It's only done when you get one cracked case.
    Things really slow in Connecticut? snicker.
    Spelling and grammar count!

After 50+ years at this stuff, I have found what works for me. Even my generic loadings get better treatment than my dog and the precision, better than my wife. I clean the cases first , before sizing and a second time after sizing to remove lube.

Last edited by nf1e; 12-11-2020 at 11:36.

I disagree. Missing here as well is you don't have to trim just to minimum, you can trim more .005 or .010 extras and not be an issue. Ergo, over-trim a bit , run the whole Batch through every 5 firings and never look back. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

Its so easy with the Gerard that its not an issue time wise unlike many other systems. Works and works gangbusters. As I had not expected too many calibers, I went with Tri Trimmers and with this this seutp its as good or even better then the Gerard motorized as I can locate in in a lot of positions

Tri Trimmer In Drill.jpg

That said, downside is the Tri Trimmer is limited on certain case shoulders, and I am going beyond that. So I will be getting a motorized on that has the easy changed cutter and shoulder adapters.

I have used a motorized Gerard, same with the drill, you can easily process 300 rounds in under 30 minutes.

For odd calibers if you want to use the vice chucked drill, Trim it II offers those odd calibers (7.5 Swiss). Its got too many adjustments (5 and each has a different size hex) and its a pain to setup, but works almost as good as the Gerard once it is set.
    Last edited by RC20; 12-11-2020 at 02:05.

I'd think final operation would be chamfering neck.
    Just nitpicking.

Quote Originally Posted by dogtag View Post
    I'd think final operation would be chamfering neck.
    Just nitpicking.
    Well, just so happens the Giraud trimmer does the chamfering of the inside and outside of the neck as part of the trimming operation.

Quote Originally Posted by nf1e View Post
    Well, just so happens the Giraud trimmer does the chamfering of the inside and outside of the neck as part of the trimming operation.
    Wow, I'm impressed. Is the thing full of computers like modern cars ?