Default Help valuing a 1975 Winchester M-70 match

I bought the gun through Winchester Hong Kong when I was on Okinawa - with the intention of using it as an across the course match rifle. Somehow I could never put down the service rifle. It’s .308 Win. I did bob the barrel by 5” and added a composite stock with a target scope. I have used it in a couple of long range any any matches. I do have the original stock. Any ideas as to value? Have not looked at it in a long time. I guess conventional nra high power is kind of forgotten but it does have the stripper clip guides. I plan on putting it in consignment locally.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 11-30-2020 at 06:44.

Blog Entries

not forgotten, but a sport that is trying to kill itself (NRA\CMP seem to have troubles often,, )

I'll do some digging tomorrow, but bobbing that barrel hurts

There are several 'models' of M70 Match rifles. The Winchester Collector guys say 3 models in 1957. The "Standard Weight Target Rifle" (formerly National Match) had a clip guide. And a peep rear match sight.
    Rock Island sold a 1953 vintage 'National Match for $1725, that they thought would sell for $2,250 - $3,250.
    It being a post '64 rifle matters too. The .30-06 National Match was supposedly discontinued in 1960 and the 'Target' in 1963. The Target was reintroduced in 1967 chambered in .308/7.62 though. No mention of clip guides. No real mention of post 64 M70 Targets at all.
    However, cutting the barrel(one assumes it was properly re-crowned) and changing the stock will lessen the value. Likely no collector value at all. Still be worth $1500 at a very wild and hairy guess.
    The assorted auction sites are mostly showing hunting rifles running from less than a grand to nearly 3 grand. Some dealers think they're going to get rich.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Thanks. Keep em coming. As it is it would make a decent F class rifle for belly flopping. I intend to offer the original stock with the rifle.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 12-02-2020 at 12:47.

Blog Entries

completed auctions, as in sold,this may help

$1279 similar, but not a factory match gun
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/879821438

nothing else on GB used in 308, post 64 that is similar and sold,

if you are going to consign, add the cost of a stock, and whatever scope you have on it (ebay sold auctions are a good indicator of scope value) and decide you bottom dollar and let her ride,

Texas native exiled to Oz for past indescretions to numerous to mention.

About a year ago on Gunbroker, I bought an unmolested very lightly used clip-slotted 1965 Model 70 30-06 match rifle with heavy barrel. All original except for the Freeland hand stop and a set of Redfield Olympic sights front and rear. An assumption on my part about the sights, but I'm pretty sure Winchester didn't provide sights on these. I was really wanting a 308, but, 30-06 was close enough for my purposes.

Paid $1400. An example of one rifle bought by one guy on one day. Your mileage may vary.
    "There it is"
    LOAD AND BE READY!

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    I bought the gun through Winchester Hong Kong when I was on Okinawa - with the intention of using it as an across the course match rifle. Somehow I could never put down the service rifle. It’s .308 Win. I did bob the barrel by 5” and added a composite stock with a target scope. I have used it in a couple of long range any any matches. I do have the original stock. Any ideas as to value? Have not looked at it in a long time. I guess conventional nra high power is kind of forgotten but it does have the stripper clip guides. I plan on putting it in consignment locally.
    Griff , as a former "Mud Gunner" and LR belly flopper I'm curious as to why you felt the need to "bob" the barrel five inches on this rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandpebble View Post
    Griff , as a former "Mud Gunner" and LR belly flopper I'm curious as to why you felt the need to "bob" the barrel five inches on this rifle.
    A hunting buddy was aware of the gun and suggested it would make a great long range deer rifle. Too heavy to carry, but good in the blind. He offered to cut the barrel to make it less unwieldy in my box, and he fit and bedded the stock. I did hunt it a few times but never had a suitable shot. There used to be an annual tactical long range match at old Fort Wolters in Mineral Wells, my son in law shot it and did quite well with it. In fact he beat me.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 02-07-2021 at 04:47.