Default Shooting Eddy 1917 with JA Barrel

Not that I have quit work (quit not retired, we had no retirement, what we have is what we put together over the years).

Ok, time to clean up the gun works, I have too many I don't shoot. Get the 1917s down to no more than two.

So the first one up is the JA Barrel. I thought I took data on it but???? Start from ground up (drats, where is the S&K scope adapter when you need it? - I have one day to go shooting before the range closes for December)

Ok, taking my the steel tool for bullet COAL (and the Hornady funny case) - this is ridiculous COAL measurement (I do it on the Ogive not the tip as the tip varies more than the Ogive though I have seen some pretty wild ogives on match bullets).

The bullet is darned near falling out of the case. Ok, build a dummy with the bullet in it, set it out there and see if any lands marks show up (pulling the striker makes that easy). Yep, its there, its long, very very long. Could be one of those modern throats that are long for for ELD and this is not an ELD.

So, I am way out there, subtract .020 for a start and way out there.

I have a bunch of stray rounds for loads that did not work, so I too 3, used the kinetic to get them overlong then, then seated to the -020 spec.

5 more from another group for target use, found the S&K, to that mounted up and off to the range on a snowy but not to cold day (25 deg).

50 yards, bore sight, get on and close to center with the 3 and 100 yards will be close enough.

Shot the first of the 5, yep, its on, and I got a 2.5 inch group which is on par for the ones I have shot (with the S&K and without it).

Eddy JA 2.5 Group.jpg

Well that was not bad, 102 year old receiver and in a pretty gnarly sotck (might be ok if I clean it up) with no bedding pressure points or

So, now what? Ok, I have more strays, a grain more of R17 than the first ones, I have 7, lets try 3. Dang its snowing and I can't hardly see, the spotting scope shows a mark (aiming at the red stick on but only after group not a bull eye). Ok, two more, hmm, looks bigger, I don't see any hits anywhere around it. Ok, last 3, ok, now I see the offset but darn that is pretty tight.

Eddy JA 1.25 Group.jpg

Me? I am amazed, stunned, delirious . 5 Shots at 3/4 inch, the last 3 wind up a 1 1/4 inch group. I have looked for good loads with 10 different loads. And do I dare ever go to the range again with this gun or rest on my laurels? Sure its a scope, but its a cantilevered scope (best S&K could do which was good). Its a hunting scope through a snow storm. No cheek rest as is high, your head floats.

Yep, I am keeping this one. Head space is pretty normal for the JA, not surprised as its a WWII 1903 setup with 1917 threads. And yes I see what they mean about the two groves.
    Last edited by RC20; 11-29-2020 at 02:35.

1917's are fun. I have loved Swedes for thirty yrs. and recently am impressed as well or a little better with Swiss. The 1917 comes in third but it's just as much fun. It's just a big honkin rifle that performs. I have two 03-a3's but they fall into fourth place.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.