Default Anybody else disappointed with today’s National Geographic

It seems to me that the venerable Nat Geo has lost its way. It used to be a magic carpet in print that carried us to strange lands. It still is but now the publication seems determined to solve all questions of “economic inequality” and of course they are all over climate change and pollution - almost to the exclusion of everything else. It just seems like it’s evolved into a total liberal pulpit publication. I treasure the old ones but the new ones seem to be social justice and environmental activist oriented. JMHO - anyone else???

Blog Entries

stopped reading it (was a subscriber) in the 80's., and I have picked a copy or 2 up here and there since and noticed the same,

ditto a few other publications,

Blog Entries

Got a family member a subscription, they piled up in the house. Not sure if that was a product of a modern world, less reading and more phone scrolling...or just every cover story was another climate change subject. I get its a paramount issue, but felt like it had changed in content. We canceled our subscription.

Not the same magazine it was when I was a kid.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    It just seems like it’s evolved into a total liberal pulpit publication. I treasure the old ones but the new ones seem to be social justice and environmental activist oriented.
    Not "evolution," but a deliberate & announced "re-purposing" of the mag by the new editor appointed in 2014--a life-long left-wing activist, formerly employed by Bloomberg:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Susan_Goldberg

Quality content of the sort featured in the one time NG is easily found and accessed on the web. NG of today will go the way of the dodo bird if it cannot generate sufficient income to operate. Either NG and supporters will wake up and smell the coffee or they will have to deal with the consequences. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Quality content of the sort featured in the one time NG is easily found and accessed on the web. NG of today will go the way of the dodo bird if it cannot generate sufficient income to operate.
    Let's hope that happens. The editor who turned it into a vehicle for left-wing politics can go back to work for Bloomberg--no doubt an opening can be found in the Gun Control Dept.

All thru my scoo; years (I'm 75 now) all my school libraries had subscriptions to NG. They were always interesting reading. Not now! Our public library carries a subscription, but very few editions interest me today.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    Our public library carries a subscription, but very few editions interest me today.
    Institutional subs will probably keep the mag going, I'm sorry to say--after all, they also subscribe to the same left-wing agenda.