Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default SRS Request and 5MadFarmers Research

About 10yrs ago, I was in a rough place financially and was considering selling my '95/'96 carbine. Joe gracefully offered to loan me some cash and hold my carbine as collateral (I sold other toys instead). At the time, he was working on a book and doing tons of research. My serial number is #26930 and the info was passed on to Joe. He stated he was confident it left SA as a carbine, even without a direct SRS hit. I can't for the life of me find my communications with him.
    In full transparency- I am looking to sell the gun locally, and the buyer wants documentation it is a true carbine. I can only provide "my" statements from what Joe said, as well as the late Col. Mook, who handled it at the Baltimore Antique show many years ago.
    Can Anyone help?
    Last edited by Fishnerd; 11-17-2020 at 02:39. Reason: More info

No one can give you "documentation" if it was not found by SRS during their record crawl. But, I will add my blessing to Joe's. In that range the odds are overwhelming that it is correct. If that isn't enough for Mr. belt-and-suspenders, ask him to step aside and get out of the way of the next buyer. The gun WILL sell.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    No one can give you "documentation" if it was not found by SRS during their record crawl. But, I will add my blessing to Joe's. In that range the odds are overwhelming that it is correct. If that isn't enough for Mr. belt-and-suspenders, ask him to step aside and get out of the way of the next buyer. The gun WILL sell.
    you have a way with words Mr Hosmer!!!

does 5mad still have his own forum? anyone been in contact with him?

I learned that phrase from the "manager" (a punk kid barely old enough to shave) of the "arms library" at the Cabela's in Reno NV, while inspecting a POS that was priced at double its' value. Have never forgotten it, and have never visited another Cabelas. Do NOT like that chain! When they decided to take the "big box" mass-marketing scheme to antique arms, a few good deals slipped out the door, because they didn't know squat about what they were selling. Management became aware of this and, instead of attempting to hire qualified salespersons, they just jacked their prices AND their attitude.

As to Joe, yes he does, but I've not been in contact with him for several years. Sad - FANTASTIC mind, but tough to get close to.
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 11-18-2020 at 08:27.

Thank you Mr. Hosmer.
    There was not a direct SRS hit on my carbine c.2008. Col. Mook fondling it, pointing out the flaws and confirming it was a real carbine was good enough for my satisfaction. That combined with Joe and you green lighting it around the same time made me sure it was what I thought.
    Funny side story about The Baltimore Antique Show...
    A guy had a display set up with what he claimed was an 1892 Krag Carbine. I scoffed and told him it wasn't real. He asked why I thought that and I replied "There are only two 1892 Carbines in existence; one is in the Springfield Armory Museum and the other is in the private collection of a man named Carl Weiss." He looked me in the eye, grabbed his exhibitor lanyard and showed me his name- Carl Weiss. I'm sure my jaw dropped in disbelief. He then said something along the lines of "You did your homework; want to hold it?"

I thought Tom Pearce owned the loose one - must have sold it to Carl (or my memory is no good).

Couple of years ago, at Baltimore, a man found a super-rare M1888 "positive cam" trapdoor being sold as a common M1884. Bingo!!

Living in northern CA, have never made it to Baltimore - did get to the Allentown show in 1992, with Frank Mallory. What an experience!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    I thought Tom Pearce owned the loose one - must have sold it to Carl (or my memory is no good).

Couple of years ago, at Baltimore, a man found a super-rare M1888 "positive cam" trapdoor being sold as a common M1884. Bingo!!

Living in northern CA, have never made it to Baltimore - did get to the Allentown show in 1992, with Frank Mallory. What an experience!!

The Baltimore show is a giant antique gun museum where most of the stuff is for sale. The parking lot has license plates from all over America and Canada. I actually saw a Japanese ?family? bring a translator to negotiate buying their relative's sword that ended up in The USA after WW2. Flying in from Japan and hiring a translator for one purchase means they were likely paying some serious cash.
    It is certainly a show to see.

In the same vein (Asians and cash) a friend and his wife were real-estate tire kicking one morning and wound up at an open house where an Asian couple were actually in the process of buying it. Amused by the chit-chat back and forth, my friends eavesdropped. The agent was blowing on and ON about forms, papers, laws, interest, and other typical BS. The Asian couple would listen politely but just said "Want to buy". The agent brushed this aside, more than once, and droned on. Finally, the man had had enough and said "I no pay interest, I buy now." The agent was completely dumbfounded as the guy peeled off his coat and counted out $400,000 from a money vest. With every Benjamin that hit the table, the agent's eyes got bigger and bigger. Different strokes for different folks!!!

Gotta love that 1892 carbine story. My Father-in-law gifted me an "1892" Carbine. What I had was an un-altered 1892 action. I took me 10 years, 3 rifles,and Bill Mook to make it right. Bill was really quite the guy!
    Last edited by sdkrag; 11-19-2020 at 08:40.

YES HE WAS - but you still don't have an 1892 Carbine, just a mock-up (or perhaps a Mook-up?).

Speaking of mocking, this comment was NOT intended as any sort of slam at you, far from it, just being clear.

If I live long enough I plan to do the same thing to create a look-alike M1882 rod-bayonet rifle with 28" barrel. I have one of the original 28 bayonets, the rest will be "assembled".