Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Handy little gun. Someone - but not SA - did a very nice job indeed. It was originally a M1884 Cadet rifle, type 2 with 29.6" barrel.

Were I doing it, I'd have made it just a bit longer, probably 26". It should be a fun gun to shoot!

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    . . . It was originally a M1884 Cadet rifle, . . . .
    I would have thought it was originally a 1888 RRB rifle, given the high serial number, stock cartouche, and one-piece trigger guard.

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    I would have thought it was originally a 1888 RRB rifle, given the high serial number, stock cartouche, and one-piece trigger guard.
    That was my first thought of course, but then I noticed the thin wrist short comb stock! Cadets were among the last guns produced, I once owned 565115 (a pretty high number).

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Handy little gun. Someone - but not SA - did a very nice job indeed. It was originally a M1884 Cadet rifle, type 2 with 29.6" barrel.

Were I doing it, I'd have made it just a bit longer, probably 26". It should be a fun gun to shoot!
    Thanks for the feedback concerning the origin of this rifle. What is the significance of the number stamped on both sides of the buttstock? I am planning on having fun shooting it. I too would have made the barrel 26 inches if shortened.

I've gotten bit by the blackpowder cartridge rifle shooting bug. I now have three Sharps replicas made by C Sharps, one in 45-70, another in 45-90, and one in 40-70ss. Since getting involved in shooting these at the local club and at their matches my interest has drifted away from the more modern firearms. I do have a collection of WW2 enfields, arisakas, mosins, M1 Garand and carbine as well as the 03A3 I bought through the NRA way back when. Unfortunately I sporterized it not knowing what I now value, but have returned it more to it's original condition with the exception of a repo stock and new barrel. A while back I picked up a shortened Krag for $150 at Cabelas, just to have one to get a feel for how they handled, etc. It is a pretty good shooter, however would be an eye sore for a Krag enthusiast. I reload for all of these. For the BPCR's I'm using real black powder.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilRich View Post
    Thanks for the feedback concerning the origin of this rifle. What is the significance of the number stamped on both sides of the buttstock? I am planning on having fun shooting it. I too would have made the barrel 26 inches if shortened.

I've gotten bit by the blackpowder cartridge rifle shooting bug. I now have three Sharps replicas made by C Sharps, one in 45-70, another in 45-90, and one in 40-70ss. Since getting involved in shooting these at the local club and at their matches my interest has drifted away from the more modern firearms. I do have a collection of WW2 enfields, arisakas, mosins, M1 Garand and carbine as well as the 03A3 I bought through the NRA way back when. Unfortunately I sporterized it not knowing what I now value, but have returned it more to it's original condition with the exception of a repo stock and new barrel. A while back I picked up a shortened Krag for $150 at Cabelas, just to have one to get a feel for how they handled, etc. It is a pretty good shooter, however would be an eye sore for a Krag enthusiast. I reload for all of these. For the BPCR's I'm using real black powder.

You're quite welcome. Be careful about Krags; one is usually not enough, but I'd suggest you get an original uncut one for your next buy.

6. Default

A curiosity question: is there an earlier sight that is simpler and that has a larger notch like the earlier carbine sight I just looked at, that would be easier to use at moderate ranges with old eyes? That would have the same mounting hole spacing and thread size.
    Last edited by PhilRich; 11-19-2020 at 09:44.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilRich View Post
    A curiosity question: is there an earlier sight that is simpler and that has a larger notch like the earlier carbine sight I just looked at, that would be easier to use at moderate ranges with old eyes? That would have the same mounting hole spacing and thread size.
    Are you asking about the Krag or the TD? There are a multitude of sights for either. Hole spacing and thread size are the same (within makes) but screw shapes and lengths differ. I've never checked to see if a Krag sight would mount on a TD, or vice-versa. The barrel tapers are probably different - I've seen a Krag sight on a TD, but did not look into it any further to see whether it was Bubba'd, or just screwed right on. Well, it HAD to have been Bubba, but I don't know the details!

8. Default

For the trapdoor. I have a replacement front sight blade ordered, one that is extra high to modify to register. I was looking at a rear sight on Ebay, It appears that the distance between screws is slightly different, as he had a ruler beside the sight showing the distance between them. I could get it and just use one screw and blue loctite. Most likely I will just keep working the Buffington. I'm used to the tang peep sights on my Sharps repo's. I don't want to drill the stock to put one on the Trapdoor.

Actually, the Krag, modified as it is, shoots to point of aim.

Well he either missed a bit on his ruler/tape placement, or there is some camera distortion!!

After over 50 years of collecting those guns, I can tell you that the hole spacing IS the same!

The Model 1873 (fairly common) and Model 1877 (scarce and expensive) sights have a rather crude open notch and are not adjustable for windage, whereas the Model 1879 "Buckhorn" (also common) sight has a better-defined notch and IS adjustable for windage - though it is only a friction-tight connection. Any of them (with the proper length and shape screws) will fit your barrel, like a glove.

10. Default

For the trapdoor. I have a replacement front sight blade ordered, one that is extra high to modify to register. I was looking at a rear sight on Ebay, It appears that the distance between screws is slightly different, as he had a ruler beside the sight showing the distance between them. I could get it and just use one screw and blue loctite. Most likely I will just keep working the Buffington. I'm used to the tang peep sights on my Sharps repo's. I don't want to drill the stock to put one on the Trapdoor.

Actually, the Krag, modified as it is, shoots to point of aim.