Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default SRS Check Please

Hi,
    I've just joined this forum. I recently purchased my first Trapdoor that is in pretty nice condition. The serial number is 564568. I'd appreciate a SRS check for this rifle to see if there is anything concerning it's history.

I did have it out to the range this week. It is shooting over a foot high at 50yds! It has the Buffington sight. In using the lower peep hole it is shoot more to point of aim. It will take a while to figure this one out. A taller front sight would help, but I don't want to modify the rifle.

Thanks,
    Phil

What you are describing is normal . . . .

If you are interested only in shooting for group size, a blank (white) sheet of paper above your aiming point will do.

If you want to shoot to POA (point of aim) I’ve fabricated a taller (and wider) front sight of WOOD, then glued it to the back-side of the original front sight . . . .then sanded the top down ‘til the POA and POI (point of impact) coincided.

The glue I used was easily removed when the rifle was sold, and left NO RESIDUE to indicate anything was ever attached to the original front sight!

O’course, one must handle the rifle carefully to avoid damaging that tiny chunk of wood out in front!

No listing for your number in SRS.

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trevor View Post
    No listing for your number in SRS.
    Thanks for looking!

The rifle I have has been modified to a 25 inch barrel length, the stock shortened, along with the ramrod and nose cap to fit. The question I have is: Did the Springfield armory provide such such conversions upon request by an officer? I'm aware of the special officer's models, but this in not one of them. I was told that this rifle was modified by the armory. I was aware that the story may not be true when purchasing the rifle, I just like rifles with shorter barrels and this one is in really nice condition. It is not a parts gun.

Phil

The short answer is NO. It was done by the world famous gunsmith BUBBA.

Because your barrel has been shortened, its rifle rear sight, when sighting with your front sight, raises the muzzle of your trapdoor higher.
    Also using a bullet that is lighter than 500 grains (for which your rifle was originally calibrated to shoot) will raise the point of impact.
    Last edited by Fred; 11-16-2020 at 09:01.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Trevor View Post
    The short answer is NO. It was done by the world famous gunsmith BUBBA.
    Well, not exactly, but certainly not after 1875!

8. Default

What was different after 1875?

Pictures of the rilfe:
    Attachment 48412
    Attachment 48413
    Attachment 48415
    Attachment 48416
    Attachment 48414
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PhilRich; 11-16-2020 at 07:54.

Prior to that date, even back into the .50-70 period - 1866 to 1872 - SA would, upon request, make up "special" rifles for officers and dignitaries, but the process became burdensome and it was decided (in 1875) to produce ONE "standardized" fancy rifle available for purchase by anyone who wanted a special arm.

10. Default

My attempt to post pictures didn't work out correctly. I thought it would be in two separate posts. I'm going to order a higher front sight blade correct the POI at 100 yds.

Trapdoor 1884 1.jpg
    Trapdoor 1884 11.jpg
    Trapdoor 1884.jpg
    Trapdoor 1884 9.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images