1. Default German K98 value?

Click on the link below for pics of the German K98. Got this rifle 20 or so years ago from a friend (deceased). He said it was a WWII bringback that a guy had traded to him for some car repairs when he had a gas station/repair shop in the 50's or 60's. There are no import marks, but no documentation to prove it was a bringback either. All matching except the floor plate which has a lined out number and matching number stamped on it (not electropenciled) Stock has not been sanded or refinished. Leather sling is a repro I added. Interested in what this might be worth. I have a local guy interested, and another as well. It has not been advertised yet, I need to have some idea of what these are going for currently. Thanks.
    http://www.fototime.com/inv/31557347DD4DDD7

I am not a Mauser expert but that looks like a really nice early war K98k. What does the bore look like?

An item is worth what a willing buyer will pay but my guess is a base of $1,500.00 for that rifle if it has a shoot-able bore. More if it has a bright and shiny bore.

I'm sure the Mauser guys will chime in and give you a more accurate idea.

3. Default

Art, Thanks for the reply. The bore is VG. Shiny with good rifling. I have had this one to the range and it shot well even using surplus Turkish ammo. I did clean correctly for corrosive ammo BTW. I will try to get a pic of the bore to add to the album. It's a very nice rifle, I'm conflicted about letting it go, but I do need to whittle down my collection.

you're probably going to be able to get around $2K for the rifle. It was probably some sort of rack queen which, of course, was rare for the Wehrmacht. you might have to wait a bit for the right buyer. Right now everyone is buying "black rifles" in the panic that always seems to follow a national election that the Democrats win. It'll settle down though and I do believe that the $2,000.00 price range, plus or minus a bit will wind up being a fair price. It would be even more if that floorplate wasn't "force matched."

That Turkish ammo is hot stuff. I shot some through my Yugo Model 48 and the recoil was punishing.
    '
    Last edited by Art; 11-16-2020 at 04:55.

"...no documentation to prove it was a bring back..." There wouldn't be. Lotta that stuff came in via the guy's duffle bag. Up here, the troopies were not allowed to bring anything back. Especially firearms and handguns in particular. The troopies' kit bags were searched on the dock in Halifax.
    Anyway, it's year of manufacture matters. This might help.
    https://www.wehrmacht-awards.com/uni...k/k98index.htm
    Spelling and grammar count!

6. Default Updated info and some new pics.

Well, this has been interesting. On another forum I have gotten quite an education about this K98. It is a bit of a mix master. It has a replacement barrel and it appears some of the bolt parts have had serial numbers ground off (crudely) and renumbered.
    The butt plate is a replacement as well. It probably went through a rework depot sometime in it's life. Not sure who changed numbers or when that work was done. I am certain it wasn't the friend I got the rifle from.

The good news is it's a good example of a WWII K98, it's not a Russian rework, it has no import marks, it has a good bore, functions perfectly and is a good shooter. I'm including a link to some new pics I took today. Still looking for some opinions on value. Thanks.http://www.fototime.com/inv/130C5955B575175
    Last edited by Brad in Idaho; 11-18-2020 at 08:59.