Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default SRS Check Please

I recently acquired a 1903,
    Springfield Armory SN 899413. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum!!!!!

pull up a chair, hang out a bit

Default SRS Check Please
    I recently acquired a 1903,
    Springfield Armory SN 899413. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    Looks like a low number serial serial numbers. Suggest you inquire or look up low number serial history pros & cons. Before you fire
    Same. Just a suggestion as there was a problem with heat treatment and some rifles sort of came apart
    ... But I am pretty sure 899413 may be considered safe. I stand to be corrected, double heat treatment started around serial nbr. 800,000.. Quite a bit of information on this problem it’s worth reading about if you haven’t already. Glad to have you on board

John in SC
    Last edited by JOHN COOK; 11-13-2020 at 02:57.
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Blog Entries

There is endless and heated discussion about the risk of firing single heat treated Model 1903 rifles. As John mentioned above those serial numbers
    above approx. 800,000 are considered safe to fire. Number 899413 is not on my SRS list of serial numbers.

5. Default

Thanks for looking.
    I am aware of the low serial number issue. I bought the rifle to shoot CMP matches. They will not allow any Springfield built rifles under 810,000 to be used.
    I wanted a safe rifle that was built during WW1 and was very happy to find one. Unfortunately, it has been arsenal rebuilt. It has a HS barrel dated 6-44. It looks like a good one though. Can't wait to shoot it. Thanks again.

Are there any stampings or cartouches on the stock of your M1903?

7. Default

Unfortunately no, none that I could see. The bolt has a serial number on it, but it doesn't match the rifle.

The 1944 High Standard barrel on your ‘03 has me wondering. The ‘03s were rebuilt after the war and HS barrels were commonly installed on some of the ‘03s that were sent to Greece to fight the communists during the mid 1940s. They also used 03A3 stocks and bolts during the rebuild. The Greeks returned them to the US in 2000 to be sold through the CMP.

Some things to look for that would identify a Greek return: The last 4 digits of the serial number electro penciled on the flat part of the bolt handle. The last 4 digits of the serial number stamped on the stock. A “B” is stamped on the floor plate that’s pinned to prevent accidental opening. The Greeks took excellent care of their ‘03s and applied what looks like a thick petroleum-grease based preservative all over them before putting them in storage for nearly 70 years. The stock on my ‘03 Greek return still drips oil if left out in the hot sun.

9. Default

My rifle has none of those things, and it has a straight stock with grooves. I recently bought it at the CMP north store, so I doubt it's a Greek return.

Buying your rifle through the CMP hopefully means it has been in storage since it was rebuilt. Enjoy the range experience and let us know how she does. Finding ammo to shoot has become an issue around here.