Default Want to buy a M1 Garand barrelin 7.9mm, who to contact?

Acquires some7.9mm ammo and want to try using a Garand action, should be VERY INTERESTING, I think??

Thanks.

Probably will end up having to use a surplus .30-06 barrel bored out and rifled. Of course you'll also have to do something w/ the chamber. However, good idea as the 8x57mm is a wonderfully effective cartridge. If you have access to a sufficient quantity of ammunition, it'd be a fun conversion. With a adjustable gas plug you would have no concerns about port pressure, etc. Good luck! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bruce View Post
    Probably will end up having to use a surplus .30-06 barrel bored out and rifled. Of course you'll also have to do something w/ the chamber. However, good idea as the 8x57mm is a wonderfully effective cartridge. If you have access to a sufficient quantity of ammunition, it'd be a fun conversion. With a adjustable gas plug you would have no concerns about port pressure, etc. Good luck! Sincerely. bruce.
    sleeve a barrel blank in 7.92 in a bored out Garand barrel shank , (the way 1903 barrels were done to fix a garand in the 50's and 60's)

douglas etc may make one up for you ,

Any surplus .30-06 barrel bored out and rifled would cost a fortune.
    Google is your friend.
    Go here. Ready to install 8mm Mauser M1 Rifle barrel $409.00 USD.
    https://www.lothar-walther.com/drop-...rifle-barrels/
    Last edited by Sunray; 11-13-2020 at 09:49.
    Spelling and grammar count!

What about 35 whelen ,jes can rebore and he is in your neck of the woods.

6. Default

You can get barrels new in .35 Whelen too: https://criterionbarrels.com/product...v=00dc5da36527

Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

I would wonder about port pressures, as a lot of 8mm projectiles run 190-200gr. Presumably lothar-walter has tightened up the gas port orifice for that reason. An adjustable gas plug would seem a must.

Dayum....I have a CMP bare receiver....

Port pressures? I've used 220 grain Silvertip(semi jacket with the Al cap. They did astounding things to a ground hog.) bullets out of my rifle with no fuss. Wasn't many but there was absolutely no damage. I've never, in 40 some years, seen a rifle damaged by the ammo. One would think JC, who tested the rifle with up to 120,000 PSI Blue pill proof loads, would have mentioned it if there was such a thing. One would suspect a 120,000 PSI load would have much more than 6 to 8,000 PSI port pressure.
    Read the right hand column here. (It used to be the whole article. Seems Scribd thinks you should pay for it now. There's a free trial link about half way down.
    The NRA load data that's below the first page has 200 grain .30-06 data. Why anybody'd want/need 200 grain data for an M1 is a mystery.)
    https://www.scribd.com/document/4085...Rifle-J-Clarke
    Spelling and grammar count!

It's not hard to see the issue.

Heavy bullet means slower powder to keep the chamber pressure down. Slower powder means delayed pressure pulse, with less dropoff by the time the bullet clears the gas port. More gas energy delivered to the op rod means a bigger impulse. A bigger impulse means more unbalanced forces at the bolt camming recess (off the centerline of op rod travel), and a harder landing of the bolt at the rear of its travel.

Remember, K (kinetic energy) = 1/2 * mass * velocity^2. That is, double the velocity of a moving component, and the energy needed to accelerate or decelerate it goes up by a factor of four.

And there is a range of powders that are recommended for the M1 Rifle.

Sure, someone can ignore all of that, say I've done it this other way for years, no issues, but one man's experience with one rifle is not representative of the family, being a rather small sample size.
    Last edited by togor; 11-16-2020 at 07:10.