Default Three Revolutionary War battlefields of the Southern Campaign

This came in over the transom this evening, from the Battlefield Trust. They say they can match your contribution 80-to-1. Wotthehell, I gave them $20.

They were all Patriot tactical victories - the Parker's Ferry fight was a Francis Marion ambush of over 600 British, Hessian and Tory troops. The red side lost 125 KIA, the blue lost 1. There were Black American men fighting on both sides in some of these battles.

https://www.battlefields.org/give/sa...uthern-theater

I'm kind of a sucker for this sort of thing.

jn

Blog Entries

Do any of the southern campaign battlefields overlap that other mid-nineteenth century conflict?
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

Blog Entries

not really, that I recall, different struggle,

if they are it is mostly by coincidence or the location was still a military or commercial hub (Petersburg Va as an example)

surely Vern will be by with more insight,

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
    Do any of the southern campaign battlefields overlap that other mid-nineteenth century conflict?
    Well, Yorktown was in the way of the Peninsular Campaign and probably saw a lot of soldiers marching through. Savannah, the end point of Sherman's march, was also a military objective in the Revolution as was Charleston SC. The war of maneuver in the Revolution was further south than in the Civil War - the Carolinas vs. Virginia.

jn

"...military objective in the Revolution..." The Rebellion, you mean.
    There were Black men, they weren't allowed to be called Americans, fighting on both sides in all the battles.
    "...Francis Marion..." Played by Leslie Nielsen, a Canadian, in the Disney version. Nielsen's brother was a well known Canadian politician for years.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...military objective in the Revolution..." The Rebellion, you mean.

depends on what side of the aisle you are standing on

"Do any of the southern campaign battlefields overlap that other mid-nineteenth century conflict? "

What???? There are so many overlapping battlefields in VA, NC, and SC.....let me find some books for y'all to read...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Scott View Post
    "Do any of the southern campaign battlefields overlap that other mid-nineteenth century conflict? "

What???? There are so many overlapping battlefields in VA, NC, and SC.....let me find some books for y'all to read...
    I haven't spent a great deal of time dotting across the map in the southeast, but from a vacation planning perspective...hitting different battlefields, in the same area, across two conflicts, would be a good use of vacation time.
    "The first gun that was fired at Fort Sumter sounded the death-knell of slavery. They who fired it were the greatest practical abolitionists this nation has produced." ~BG D. Ullman

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    ....The Rebellion, you mean.
    There were Black men, they weren't allowed to be called Americans, fighting on both sides in all the battles.
    Well, technically speaking none of the Patriots were Americans. They were Continentals, or militiamen in their own state. Or they were in the Continental Navy or sailing under a letter of marque from the Continental Congress.

The Southern Campaign was Britain's attempt to pry the Carolinas and Georgia loose from the Patriot enterprise. Losing Savannah and Charleston SC could have been a deathblow to the Continental project if it had happened in '76 or '77. As it was, it was too late, the Patriots were too well organized and the British forces ended up bottled up in the two ports. They couldn't link up with Cornwallis in Yorktown and de Grasse's fleet took out naval support to that garrison.

When you read about the Revolution and what is taught in the schools, it is all about the fighting around New York, Boston and Philadelphia, especially Saratoga. The patriots lost a lot of battles in the south but they won the right ones.

jn

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Roadkingtrax View Post
    I haven't spent a great deal of time dotting across the map in the southeast, but from a vacation planning perspective...hitting different battlefields, in the same area, across two conflicts, would be a good use of vacation time.
    going from memory, which may be faulty,

Savannah , great history, neat town, both wars had parts here,

Charleston, much more interesting, vacationed there 2x's, including being there for the Hunley Crew Burial, (amazing to see)
    each time in Charleston, (week) we did a day trip to Savannah,

BTW, there is a small AF museum that is worth stopping at,
    and Paula Deen's place is a let down, very over rated,

Charleston has fantastic food,
    CW,, Sumpter (worth the visit)
    and the hunley, (worth the visit)

CW the trail went thru Atlanta on the way to the ocean, I would need to look at the map to see what else,

Rev War, from Sav/Charleston up to the mountains and then thru Kings Mtn and back around thru NC and in VA at South Boston,

small memorial at SB behind the train station on the river, they do a reinactment each year that includes dropping a cannon down the bank and crossing in a Bateau,

with a cannon crew on the north bank,
    been a couple years with my SAR group, and Mom is from the area, so lots of relatives,

https://www.halifaxcountyhistoricals...t-the-crossing

then East from there to Yorktown,

FWIW, my patriot ancestor met up with Green's forces in NC before they got to S Boston, but dropped out due to illness, it was his 3rd tour,,

CW, forces came south thru the Valley, and down to RVA, (fredericksburg in the way, Kenmore house is a good historical visit)
    most of the CW stuff came down and went east of town,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Crater

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blandford_Church

lots of Rev War stuff there too, but not as much as far as headcount,

Henricus,, then P'Burg, (Sister in Law lives on Lafayette Point, it overlooks P Burg where Lafayette supposedly stood to watch the shelling of P Burg )

this is about a mile or less from her house

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violet_Bank_Museum

xxxxtons of Rev and CW history in the area, and as R Scott mentioned, it does overlap,

other than Petersburg, I cannot think of a major battle fought in the same spot, (Surely I am forgetting something)

you could spend a month in VA alone and not hit all the history here,

if you do come this way, shout, I'll buy you an excellent local beer or local glass of wine, (we have some decent but not great distilleries here, )

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    Well, technically speaking none of the Patriots were Americans. They were Continentals, or militiamen in their own state. Or they were in the Continental Navy or sailing under a letter of marque from the Continental Congress.

The Southern Campaign was Britain's attempt to pry the Carolinas and Georgia loose from the Patriot enterprise. Losing Savannah and Charleston SC could have been a deathblow to the Continental project if it had happened in '76 or '77. As it was, it was too late, the Patriots were too well organized and the British forces ended up bottled up in the two ports. They couldn't link up with Cornwallis in Yorktown and de Grasse's fleet took out naval support to that garrison.

When you read about the Revolution and what is taught in the schools, it is all about the fighting around New York, Boston and Philadelphia, especially Saratoga. The patriots lost a lot of battles in the south but they won the right ones.

jn
    great synopsis,