Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 303 factory ammo???

Purchased some 303 rounds on stripers and in bandoleers about a year ago. I was surprised to see that they look like reloads as the crimp is heavy but they look to be military manufactured with sealed primers. The bullet is also strange looking as it has a heavy grove. I pulled one to see what powder was in them and turns out to be cordite so I doubt anyone reloads with that stuff. Here are some pics, any idea what they are?IMG_20200524_154254972.jpgIMG_20200524_161030663.jpgIMG_20200524_160733978.jpgIMG_20200524_155336542.jpg
    Last edited by Carlsr; 11-08-2020 at 04:33.

That is a 1949 Mk VII ball cartridge. All the characteristics lean to U.K. manufacture The projectile is 174 gr. with the front third of the core aluminum and the back 2/3 lead. This made the bullets back heavy and caused the bullet to tumble on impact with flesh resulting in really nasty wounds. The copper bullet jackets often meant more recent manufacture. the stuff is corrosive primed so if you shoot it cleaning up properly (and promptly) would be a good idea. You can re use the cordite but due to the way the ammo was made you probably won't be able to get every strand back in the case. Cordite burns very hot and the cardboard wad over the powder was supposed to help mitigate that. I did use some cordite from bullet pulls in a reload and it shot well. I couldn't find a record of an "OB" headstamp. If that is a "GB" the manufacturer would be Greenwood and Batley of Leeds UK, a longtime manufacturer of this cartridge. The 1949 projectiles should be of very good quality.

If you want to exactly duplicate Mk VII ammunition save those bullets and reload them into cases with modern primers and powder to about 2400-2450 fps.

the cordite also makes a great fire starter.

Save the clips and the bandoleer. Clips are getting pricey and a good bandoleer is a nice plus too.
    Last edited by Art; 11-08-2020 at 05:13.

Thanks Art. I believe it is a GB head stamp. I was mainly concerned with the heavy crimp and odd shaped bullet. Have not seen this in other factory ammo that I have.
    Just pulled one to see if they were reloads but they are not, military primers also so just trying to find out if they are safe to shoot.

Blog Entries

absolutely safe to shoot, and good stuff too

Thanks lyman!

Kind of surprised it has cordite. It usually wasn't used in rifle ammo after 1915ish.
    That cartridge is not a reload. Primers used by reloaders are usually silver coloured. There's nothing odd or particularly unusual about the bullet either.
    A MK VIII bullet would be a 175 grain boat tail. A MK VII from W.W. I used a flat based bullet.
    Greenwood and Batley also used GBF and 'G' on their stuff. It's possible they were loading 'left overs' for the commercial market in 1949.
    There's a pretty extensive list of what they made here. No Mk VIII listed. Odd considering they were working on ammo assorted until 1958.
    http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/303headstamps.html
    Spelling and grammar count!

Blog Entries

Sunray,

google says (yes, I know) it was used much later,
    I found an interesting thread over on the Cartridge Collectors forum

https://forum.cartridgecollectors.or...-question/6212

and another section that mentioned the same on web page your provided

http://www.dave-cushman.net/shot/303hist.html

So the bullet shape and heavy crimp is normal?
    I have used that site before checking head stamps, very informative site.

- - - Updated - - -

Nice thread Sunday, thanks for posting it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Kind of surprised it has cordite. It usually wasn't used in rifle ammo after 1915ish. . .
    Horsefeathers! Case in point, here's a pulldown of a 1950 Kynoch Mk7 .303 (Headstamp: K50 7) from my stash -

Cordite303.jpg

And another, captioned "Close-up of cordite filaments in a .303 British Rifle cartridge (manufactured in 1964)" from Wikipedia "Cordite" article.

UK producers were pretty consistent about adding the "Z" suffix (VIIZ or 7Z) when granulated powders were used instead of cordite in Mk7 ammo.

Deep canelures are common with Mk VII ammunition, the location can vary some since some lots are crimped down the case neck instead of at the case mouth, but your cartridge is typical.
    Last edited by Art; 11-10-2020 at 07:10.