Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sharps carbine

Default Sharps carbine

I do not see a sharps section so figured I?d ask here.
    I have a Sharps Carbine converted to 50/70 but I do not believe it is a new model 1863 as there is nothing stamped in front of or behind the rear sight. There is a cartouche next to the ring bar and serial number is
    C18716 which from what I can find means 118716??? Not sure of the year of manufacture as I can?t find a database on serial numbers.
    Since this carbine is 50/70 can I use the same loads that the 1869 cadets used or are these rounds completely different?
    Thanks for any help and I apologize for putting a question on sharps carbines here in the trapdoor group.
    Also, it seems that this carbine has spent time in the saddle as the stock has saddle wear on the stock.

If your cadet loads chamber they are fine to use. I am ignorant as to the chamber depth on the Sharps arms - I'd GUESS they are full 1.75" but don't know for sure. I have to ask, does your carbine have the Sharps rear sight or is it like the SA 1868/1870? Still looking to find (but NOT buy, unless at an old lady's garage sale!) an 1870 Trials carbine.

I’ll have to give them a try Dick. The only difference with the cadet rounds is the charge which is 55 gr. But the overall length of the round is the same as the rifle round.
    The rear sight is a Sharps sight not an SA.

I for one would love to see some pictures.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

My Sharps carbine is also a conversion to 50/70.
    It has a sleeved barrel, so the bore is a mite tighter than some conversions which used the original, 52 caliber barrel. (Can you see the joint for a liner at the muzzle.)
    There is a sling bar, but no ring on the bar.
    Check to see if you have the ?DFC? cartouche on the left side of the stock . . . .about mid-point, fore and aft.
    The load I worked up is; 28 grs. AA 5744, CCI 250 Magnum primer, Lyman 330 gr. #515139 soft lead bullet.

Tkacook, I will have to take a few. It’s not the greatest looking carbine as far as the metal parts but the wood and wood to metal fit is great.

JimF, mine also has the sleeved barrel. No DFC cartouche but there is a cartouche just under the sling bar, cannot make out the letters. Thanks for the load information but I’m looking to use black powder so hopefully someone here may have some suggestions. I’ll write it down as it may come in handy at a latter date.

Carl . . .I think I would merely substitute FFG Black Powder for the smokeless . . . .all other components the same.
    Putting as much Black (FFG) in the case as it will hold . . . leaving room for the seated bullet, of course.
    As I?m sure you know, Black Powder likes to be compressed. (I use a wooden plug in an old neck expanding die to compress . . .NOT the bullet, ?cause the nose of the bullet will deform.)
    I shoot BP in my various other 50/70?s and my 45 cal. TD?s, but have not tried it in my Sharps.

You would think, by now, this apostrophe getting axed, and a query mark substituted, would be FIXED!!
    Last edited by JimF; 10-18-2022 at 05:50.

JimF, think I’m going to try one of my 50/70 cadet loads as Dick suggested. Chambered one and it dropped right in. I also tested the firing pin with a case that only had a primer and worked just fine, surprising how much smoke a magnum primmer makes!!!
    I usually compress the powder slightly with the bullet as I don’t normally fill the case. I find lighter loads more enjoyable and I can shoot longer LOL.

No photos Tkacook, after removing the forearm to clean the barrel I found what could only be sandpaper marks. The blueing had been sanded off along with some kind of liquid to remove the blueing which was evident under the rear sight as you could see the stripes of blueing. I didn’t clean it any further as if present no sanding would be seen on the barrel.
    Contacted the seller about these issues and he agreed that I return it.
    Better luck with the next one I guess.