Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default First and best James Bond now gone, RIP Sean Connery

He was James Bond. The others were just pretenders.

Maybe his casket will have a bunch of gadgets on it so he can tunnel out of the ground, fly off into space or at least explode and kill any would-be grave robbers.

He was the best James Bond i didn't like any of the other ones

I never liked Roger Moore in anything.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

He so strongly defined the role that almost everybody else just looked like they were playing at it. The one possible exception is Daniel Craig who is so strong on the screen that he comes close

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    He so strongly defined the role that almost everybody else just looked like they were playing at it. ......
    Yep, definitely was 'the James Bond" others try to measure up to.
    He was also a sailor, enlisted in the Royal Navy, '46-49.
    He had been very ill for a long while. May he rest now, in peace.
    Tommy

8. Default

It is like the first time you hear a song, all the others who try to sing it don't sound right. Saw all of his James Bond movies from the very first in the early 60s, no one else can size up to the original, Bond, James Bond.

May he Rest In Peace

I remember Fay Wray saying that being in the original "King Kong" was a blessing and a curse. She said she made over 70 movies, some of which were very good but mostly forgotten, but no one would forget her in "King Kong."

Sean Connery was indeed the definitive James Bond but he made almost 100 movies from the 1950s to the 2010s. A few you may remember: "Darby O'Gill and the Little People - 1959; "The Longest Day" = 1962; "Marnie" - 1964; "The Hill" - 1965; "The Mollie McGuires" - 1970; "Murder on the Orient Express" - 1974; "The Man who Would be King" - 1975; "A Bridge too Far" - 1977; "Highlander" - 1986; "In the Name of the Rose" - 1986; "The Watchman" - 1987; "The Untouchables" - 1987; "The Presidio" - 1988; "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" - 1989; "The Hunt for Red October" - 1990; "The Russia House" - 1990: "Rising Sun" - 1995; "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" - 2003, and a lot more.
    Last edited by Art; 11-02-2020 at 01:17.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    He so strongly defined the role that almost everybody else just looked like they were playing at it. The one possible exception is Daniel Craig who is so strong on the screen that he comes close
    Personally I can't stand Daniel Craig, at least playing Bond. I'll always sterotype him as that wimpy charactor in "Road to Pedition".

Agree though that Connery set the standard---everyone else that followed just played the part.

I grew up during the 60's but just didn't get into all the 007 fantasy. To me the main characters were the women (most of them anyway).