Threaded View

Default Still a gem or two to be found

Picked up another 'sportered' 1903 yesterday. S/N SA 931,XXX with 4-18 SA barrel.

Lightly buffed, Redfield side mount aperture, with a thin, gold bead after market post mounted in the original fsb.

Nicely finished old Fajen or Bishop stock, walnut, w/maple grip cap and angled forend tip, with 'white line' spacers and Pachmayer thin pad.

Nice looking bore, bright with the lands showing a bit of rounding of the edges, though I'm quite certain it'll be a good shooter. Bottom metal is about the same vintage, though it escaped the buffing wheel.

Receiver still has the 'bolt stop' installed in the magazine mortise, and a corresponding Bonney Forge bolt with two bolt stop notches in the bottom of the outboard recoil lug. Polished, but otherwise non-molested.

"Thin", smooth faced trigger, still a two stage with about a four pound pull on the second stage and good, clean, consistent break.

Should be a good 'shootin' rifle', though I believe I might just have enough parts to piece together a 1918 example, if I can find the right guy to weld up the holes for the Redfield and give a good Parker type finish to the metal. Otherwise, I'll leave it alone after freshening the stock. I've probably got a Grandkid or three who still has eyes good enough to shoot with an aperture. (don't want to d/t for a scope if I don't have to)

Just a quick note for those who still stockpile serial numbers and barrel dates.....
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 10-30-2020 at 01:26. Reason: .