Default Still a gem or two to be found

Picked up another 'sportered' 1903 yesterday. S/N SA 931,XXX with 4-18 SA barrel.

Lightly buffed, Redfield side mount aperture, with a thin, gold bead after market post mounted in the original fsb.

Nicely finished old Fajen or Bishop stock, walnut, w/maple grip cap and angled forend tip, with 'white line' spacers and Pachmayer thin pad.

Nice looking bore, bright with the lands showing a bit of rounding of the edges, though I'm quite certain it'll be a good shooter. Bottom metal is about the same vintage, though it escaped the buffing wheel.

Receiver still has the 'bolt stop' installed in the magazine mortise, and a corresponding Bonney Forge bolt with two bolt stop notches in the bottom of the outboard recoil lug. Polished, but otherwise non-molested.

"Thin", smooth faced trigger, still a two stage with about a four pound pull on the second stage and good, clean, consistent break.

Should be a good 'shootin' rifle', though I believe I might just have enough parts to piece together a 1918 example, if I can find the right guy to weld up the holes for the Redfield and give a good Parker type finish to the metal. Otherwise, I'll leave it alone after freshening the stock. I've probably got a Grandkid or three who still has eyes good enough to shoot with an aperture. (don't want to d/t for a scope if I don't have to)

Just a quick note for those who still stockpile serial numbers and barrel dates.....
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 10-30-2020 at 01:26. Reason: .

Well geez Mr. Walton, you could have at least posted 1 photo... Jim

Wonderful find! Your grandson will have a real treasure to enjoy! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

"...Fajen or Bishop stock..." It was a sad day when both those guys closed. Had a Bishop stock on a bubba'd No. 1 Lee-Enfield years ago. I'd hate to think what it'd be worth now.
    An aperture is better than the original sights. As long as you can see the front blade through it you're good.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...Fajen or Bishop stock..." It was a sad day when both those guys closed. Had a Bishop stock on a bubba'd No. 1 Lee-Enfield years ago. I'd hate to think what it'd be worth now.
    An aperture is better than the original sights. As long as you can see the front blade through it you're good.
    I like to pick up those stocks whenever I can, unless Bubba did damage that can't be recovered from. Most times, I encounter Mausers and 03's that have had those stock fitted, but rarely shaped to their potential, usually with a lot of wood that can be taken down to make some fairly svelte shooting sticks! In the ol' 'stock pile', I've still got a good half dozen waiting for the right metal to be melded with them.

I have.a Fajen stock on Mauser action in 25:06, Gunsmith measured me for fit. It was a wildcat. Made two years before Remington came out commercialLy with the round.. It will reach out and touch someone....

John in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

7. Default

I've got a thing for 1903's and A3's. Over the years I've picked up a number of them...some which are restorable and some which are not.

I especially like the old school "targetized" 1903's.
    ...a fool and his money were lucky to get together in the first place...