Default RtL's October/November Book Sale!

List Update:

Featured is a large group of books for reading for the fall and winter months As always, look for the “bundle prices” as a way to save even more.

A) Payment can be made by check or money order. I may have to hold checks until they clear unless you are known to me. Paypal can be used, but a 4% premium will be added to offset fees charged by Paypal unless you do it as a gift/family. During this time, I would prefer no cash.

B) All prices do not include shipping. Shipping is done by USPS Media Mail, which I have found economical and secure and now comes with tracking numbers. I will quote a shipping price, when you make an offer. Insurance is optional. Although I pack and ship very carefully, I can’t be responsible if you don’t insure large purchases.

C) Books vary in condition and I do my best to describe them properly. Books are hard-backed unless otherwise mentioned. Any questions will be gladly answered. I will also provide reasonable pictures of the books or their content if you want. Obviously, “I’ll take it” trumps over “Can you send me more information?” 

D) When you contact me about these books, please inquire by book title, not number. You can contact me through this forum or at –rrsbls@msn.com-- (remove dashes)

E) Books are for sale on several forums. When two people offer to buy the same book or books, the earlier email/PM is considered first. I try to update this list to show purchased books at least once a day.

I. “Rick’s Picks”

1. “The Rifle in America” by Phillip B. Sharpe. The classic book on shooting in America from the 1930s. This special edition of The Rifle in America by Philip B. Sharpe has been privately printed for members of The Firearms Classics Library. Film was prepared from an original 1938 edition (William Morrow and Co.). The book was printed and bound by Quebecor Graphics/Sherwood. The text paper was especially made for this edition by P.H. Glatfelter Company. The binding is genuine pigskin Saderra leather. Oversized edition. VG-Near new, $15.00

2. “Battleships of the World 1905-1970” by Siegfried Breyer. A large, complete and authoritative pictorial book on the world’s battleships during their heyday, arranged by country and class. Near 400 pages. Breyer was one of the world’s experts on this subject and this was a pictorial companion to his other battleship book. No d/j, VG-ex. $14.00

3. “Battle of the Bulge: Hitler’s Ardennes Offensive, 1944-1945” by Danny Parker. This volume consists of primary source material, including translations of German documentation and debriefs of German generals, edited by a foremost expert on this decisive campaign. "The Battle of the Bulge" presents the assessments by leading figures in the German high command, of the preparations for the offensive, the progress of the operation, and the performance of the Wehrmacht. There are accounts of Generaloberst Alfred Jodl, head of the high command of the armed forces; Schramm, the keeper of the Wehrmacht s war diary, transcripts of two of Hitler s key speeches to his generals; and much more. VG-Ex. Oversized. $8.95

II. World War II

1. “Fall of the Philippines” by Ward Rutherford. Detailed account of the loss of the Philippines, including maps, line drawings and many photos. Trade ppk, G-VG, $4.95

2. “Pearl Harbor Countdown: Admiral Kames Richardson. By Skipper Steely. While everyone has heard of Admiral Kimmel, the commander at Pearl Harbor, few have heard of his predecessor, James Richardson. Richard strongly protested FDR’s decision to base the Pacific Fleet at Pearl Harbor and insisted the Navy was not ready for a war in 1940. He was summarily relieved. This is his biography. Near new, to new, $17.95

3. “Smoke ‘Em If You Got ‘Em: The Rise and Fall of Military Cigarettes” by Joel R. Bius. The book describes the origins of the often comfortable, yet increasingly controversial relationship among the military, the cigarette industry, and tobaccoland politicians during the twentieth century, especially World Wars 1 and II. Smoke ’Em If You Got ’Em is also a study in modern American political economy. Near new, $10.95

4. “GI Brides” by Duncan Barrett. the true story of four British women who crossed the Atlantic for love, coming to America at the end of World War II to make a new life with the American servicemen they married. The “friendly invasion” of Britain by over a million American G.I.s bewitched a generation of young women deprived of male company during the Second World War. Trade ppk, VG, $5.95

5. “American Military Insignia” by William Fowler. A pictorial guide to American unit patches of World War II – oversized, 80pp. Ex-near new, $8.95

6. “The Battle of Britain” by Leonard Mosley. One of the Time-Life WWII series – numerous pictures, includes German occupation of the Channel Islands. VG-Ex., $8.00

7. “The Home Front: Germany” by Charles Whiting. The German build-up, life during the war at home and bombing/invasion. Another Time-Life book. VG-Ex., $8.00

***BUNDLE PRICE*** - buy #6 and #7 and pay just $12.50

11. “Marine-Arsenal: Operation Crossroads” by Stefan Terzibaschitsch. A book by the famous German naval historian (with the unpronounceable name!) on the Navy operations at Bikini, 1946. Magazine sized paperback with numerous pictures. Text in German. VG-Ex. $7.95

III. World War I and General Military History:

1. “The Queenstown Patrol 1917: The Diary of Commander Joseph Taussig. Taussig commanded the first group of American destroyers to go to Europe at the start – he was known, when asked by the British, how soon his ships would be ready: “We are ready now, that is as soon as we finish refueling”. He commanded some of the first American anti-sub patrols. This is his diary of his service. Trade ppk., VG, $9.95

2. “Memoires of the Royal Navy 1690” by Samuel Pepys”. Pepys worked for the Royal Navy ashore in the last part of the 17th century and his diary is seen as one of the greatest primary sources to life in 17th century London. The book is an exact duplicate of his diary. New, $8.95

3. “British Naval Aviation 1917-1990” by Ray Sturtivant. A history of British naval aviation from the infant days of the first landings on floating airstrips through naval air strategies in the Falklands War. Numerous photos. Near new, $14.95
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 10-30-2020 at 06:14.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis