Default Columbian Mauser

Dug it out of the safe & took it to the range, shoots well with milserp 30-06. also fired some Rem 220 gr. Now that was a thumper! Cut down stock, paint peeling on barrel.
    Thought of giving it a full sporter job but would cost more than its worth so i will keep as is. will keep an eye on head space, right now the bolt closes 1/3 on a go gauge.
    Had thought of getting a scope mount that fits on the rear sight. Anybody ever use these?

Blog Entries

I have one for an Enfield and have sold guns with them mounted for a M1CArbine,

all worked well,

Thanks for the reply. Lyman, I will try one on the mauser. These old eyes need help.

Mounted one of those scope mounts that requires no drilling/tapping on a Swedish Mauser. You have to use a long eye relief scope on mine (like a pistol scope), but it does work fine for me. Even used the 100+ year old Swede to take some groundhogs.
    Last edited by Liam; 10-26-2020 at 06:00.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

"...on a go gauge..." It should close completely on a Go. And not close completely on a No-Go. Both gauges must be put under the extractor then the bolt gently closed.
    Colombian Mausers are 1950's vintage FN K98 Mausers. Have a look here for a scope mount.
    https://www.thecountryshed.com/Scope-Mounts_c_7.html
    Spelling and grammar count!

Meant to say no go gauge. Thanks for the link.

7. Default

"...on a go gauge..." It should close completely on a Go. And not close completely on a No-Go. Both gauges must be put under the extractor then the bolt gently closed.
    I am thinking reloaders/smiths never live long enough to learn how to use gages.

I was told reloaders know what the other is saying without using proper terms; I am guessing 1/3 turn is close to .007" over minimum length or .002" beyond a go-gage length chamber. And then there is clearance, clearance is referred to as being head space by reloaders but they all know that.

F. Guffey

"right now the bolt closes 1/3 on a go gauge." If the bolt does not close on a go-gauge, no common factory produced ammunition would chamber in your rifle. Would expect you intended to write "no-go gauge." With the bolt not closing on a no-go gauge, the rifle is fine for shooting with any SAAMI approved factory ammunition. The "scout scope mount" that fits the rear sight base is a very good option for scoping a otherwise undrilled/tapped military rifle. Will look forward to progress with your rifle. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

9. Default

Meant to say no go gauge. Thanks for the link.
    F. Guffey

10. Default

"right now the bolt closes 1/3 on a go gauge." If the bolt does not close on a go-gauge, no common factory produced ammunition would chamber in your rifle.
    If the chamber is shorter than a go-gage length chamber the reloader is helpless; but there are a very few reloaders that do not get driven to the curb with this stuff. Again, I have .005" clearance between the case head and bolt face, I understand reloaders do not have a clue about what I am saying. I own 58 chamber reamers, when I cut a chamber I am in control, I have a choice of cutting the chamber go-gage length and I have a choice of cutting a short chamber, between a short chamber and a go-gage length I have 5 choices from .004", .003" .002" or .001". A minimum length length/full length sized case will chamber in all 5 chambers.

The Wilson case gage has been with us since 1938; if the reloader understands the Wilson case gage they understand what I am talking about and I have learned it is a mistake to assume a reloaders understands what he is reading and or hearing.

F. Guffey