Default Perryville battlefield

October 8, 1862 was the battle of Perryville, another tactical loss by the Union, to Bragg's Army of Mississippi. The American Battlefield Trust, which had acquired 384 acres of private land there, just transferred it to the State of Kentucky, to add to that state's Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site. From the map it looks like this preserves the entire Oct. 8 battlefield.https://www.battlefields.org/learn/m...october-8-1862

I like this organization and have been giving them money for years. Their website is really good, with pages for each battle, including battle maps, as well as information about commanders and individual troops - just about any battle ever fought on US soil.

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ta...RNtGgJzXQBQZst

Thanks to any and all of you who have donated!

jn
    Last edited by jon_norstog; 10-14-2020 at 12:17.

Thanks for posting this!

I actually live on the edge of a battle that happened Dec. 7,1862. It's a much smaller battle where two armies of equal numbers fought it out. The truth is casualties were about equal. What that doesn't tell you how well the sides were armed. The Confederates were forced marched from Fort Smith and had 18 smooth bored cannons with a range of around 800 yards. The Union troops under General Blunt had 30-40 rifled Parrot cannons with a range of 1,200 -1,400 yards.

Out of ammunition the Confederates retreated.

Just another example of an industrialized and rich North vandalizing a bunch of hard working dirt poor farmers and mountain people that had never seen a slave. The invaders were mostly from Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Indiana, etc. Cotton cannot grow in the rocky red clay dirt that covers Northwest AR.
    Last edited by RED; 10-14-2020 at 09:53.

3. Default

Perryville was a tactical defeat, technically, but if someone like Grant or Sheridan had been in command on the Union side, it would have been like Shiloh or Cedar Creek-Marengo for Napoleon. An initial defeat turned into a victory because a stubborn commander refused to accept defeat and was able to rally his troops. And, like Monocacy in 1864 it was a strategic victory.

My great grandfather, John B. Craig, his brother Isaac, and two brother in-laws fought there, C0 F, 80th Ill volunteer infantry. I have visited it several times,

Quote Originally Posted by John Peeff View Post
    My great grandfather, John B. Craig, his brother Isaac, and two brother in-laws fought there, C0 F, 80th Ill volunteer infantry. I have visited it several times,
    Mr. Peef, did they leave any letters, diaries, newspaper clips? This is some crazy historic stuff. tell us more!

jn