Default Tintype photo ww1

This was found about 35 years ago by my father, there was a hand written letter to it also but may be long gone. I have seen civil war tintype photos but never ww1 and i can not find any info on company it came from.IMG_8436.jpgIMG_8439.jpgIMG_8440.jpgIMG_8441.jpg

Those are very neat photos, but, I don't think they were made by the typical 'tin-type' process.

A normal tin-type is a 'reverse image'. The tin-type plate, treated chemically, is the "Negative". Copies were not made off of a tin-type; more exposures were required to make more tin-types.
    In a true tin-type, the 1903 Springfield would look like a 'Left-Hand' rifle.

Your 'photographs' must have been copied ('printed') onto treated metal, by a process that used a regular Negative.

I have a circa 1917-1918 photo of my Grandmother, framed by an ornate graphic, that is printed on a large metal 'disk'.
    It could be worn as a 'pin' or displayed in the parlor.

I suspect, the metal photos were a bit of a 'retro-look', that came into fashion in the WW-1 era.
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 10-14-2020 at 07:20.

Look at photo #4 and you can see the copyright name of Benjamin Harris, NY. I think they may still be in business according to google.. FWIW

John in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)