Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default 1873 Info help. New to historical firearms research

So I recently purchased a Model 1873 and just need help finding out some information on the gun or a point in the right direction to get me going. So far I have determined that is was manufactured between January and March of 1880. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pictures and serial number would be helpful.

3. Default

The serial number is 121553. I was unable to find any other identifying marks besides the "V" "P" "Eagle's Head" and "P".
    Attached Images Attached Images

4. Default

well its not a SRS hit

Yup, no SRS hit but according to your serial number it was manufactured in 1879 not 1880. Last serial number for 1879 was 127,000 and last for 1878 was 108,000.
    Looks to have been cleaned both the metal and stock, no bluing left and the cartouche has be removed.
    Go to trapdoorcollector.com for a new hammer screw, I believe Al may have some??

6. Default

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you guys mean by "SRS"

Springfield Reaserch Service. They have a database of Trapdoors and other Springfield rifles.
    It lists the date isued and to who or what company.

8. Default

Ok thank you. Any suggestions on where I might be able to look for information since it didn't hit on SRS?

Sorry, but that's it. If they don't have it, nobody will. The government lost interest in these arms well over 100 years ago! Minimal records have survived here and there - the rest were trashed - SRS has done an excellent job on searching out what is left - which is about 5%, on average. Sorry, but there is no magic wand!

10. Default

Ok, well I really appreciate all the assistance and knowledge. Thank you all!