Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default The Swiss - American Air War

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FILxoQyKzDg

In WWII neutral Switzerland became involved in an undeclared air war with the United States.

U.S. Bombers that had been damaged and couldn't make it home often landed in Switzerland if they could make there. American bombers would also attempt to cross Swiss airspace to avoid combat with the Luftwaffe. The Swiss began intercepting these U.S. formations and air combat ensued, especially since the U.S. Airforce sometimes bombed Swiss cities by mistake. These "mistakes" happened often enough that the Swiss began to question how "accidental" they were especially since the Swiss did banking business with the Nazis during the war and Nazi trains sometimes transited Switzerland.

American airmen who strayed into Switzerland and became prisoners were warned by their captors in the strongest terms against trying to escape. Escaping Americans were sometimes shot. Americans who tried to escape and were recaptured were not sent to the relatively comfortable camps they were held in previously but to the "punishment camp," Wauwilermoos. The video describes it as the equivalent of a German camp. This would be true if the German camp was Dachau. The Camp Commandant was Capt. Andre'-Henri Beguin, was a French Foreign Legion veteran and an enthusiastic sadist. In Miller's excellent book "Masters of the Air" he tells the story of a young B17 crewman named Dan Culler who had tried to escape from the Swiss. He was recaptured and after a few days in a Swiss jail was sent to the "punishment camp. Culler said he almost passed out from the stench in his barrack at Wauwilermoos and his welcome was to be enthusiasticly and repeatedly raped. A guard had told Culler, who had never even kissed a girl, to be careful because there are "bad people here." In this case Russian prisoners who I imagine had escaped from the Nazis and also were punished by being sent to Wauwilermoos. Culler was a Quaker kid whose parents were strict pacifists. When he returned a complete emotional and physical wreck his mom wasn't too sympathetic. She told him "I told you not to go to that damn war."

The video is quite well done and one of the few documentary accounts, though a short one, of an almost unknown WWII sub-story.
    Last edited by Art; 09-27-2020 at 11:03. Reason: Grammar, typos, spelling

In WWII neutral Switzerland, shot at everybody who didn't belong in their air space. The daft part is that the Swiss flew ME-109's.
    The U.S. Air Force some times bombed their own Army too. They still do that.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    In WWII neutral Switzerland, shot at everybody who didn't belong in their air space. The daft part is that the Swiss flew ME-109's.
    The U.S. Air Force some times bombed their own Army too. They still do that.
    True, but the Swiss stopped attacking German overflights early in the war due to pressure from the Nazi regime and the Nazis never accidentally bombed the Swiss. There was also as the video indicates, a certain amount of business conducted with the Nazi government. The incident given in the video of the Swiss cooperation in the destroying of a Nazi night fighter in exchange for Messerschmitt BF 109 G6 fighters (a significant upgrade to over their BF 109Es) being one example.

The 109Gs stayed in service with the Swiss for a good bit after WWII. The "109" was an extremely long lived design with not only WWII examples serving long after the war but locally produced models being used by several countries.

"..."109" was an extremely long lived..." Yep. The 109's used in 'The Battle of Britain' movie released in 1969, were Merlin powered, Spanish Air Force retirees.
    Spelling and grammar count!

I understand that the sadist who was in charge of the Swiss POW camp was never punished evn though he had severly abused Allied prisoners.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Ottawa View Post
    I understand that the sadist who was in charge of the Swiss POW camp was never punished evn though he had severly abused Allied prisoners.
    Beguin was court martialed by the Swiss Army in 1946 and sentenced to 3 1/2 years in prison for official corruption relating to his time as a camp commandant. Far too little and much too late for the men he was in charge of. He was also a Nazi sympathizer, and a member of the pro Nazi Swiss National Union who was known to write "Heil Hitler" under his signature, even on official correspondence.
    Last edited by Art; 10-04-2020 at 10:50.

Thanks for putting this up, Art. I never knew ... yeah, no matter what kind of SHTF, the Swiss always make money.

jn

Quote Originally Posted by jon_norstog View Post
    Thanks for putting this up, Art. I never knew ... yeah, no matter what kind of SHTF, the Swiss always make money.

jn
    It's still that way.

A few years ago I sent a Christmas package to a friend in Switzerland. Home-made candy, some bar glasses. Total declared value? About 60 CHF (about 60 USD). A few weeks later, he got a bill from the Swiss govt for 30 CHF in import duties.

Money, it's a hight.
    Last edited by dryheat; 10-13-2020 at 02:05.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

10. Default

thanks art for posting this. i've been reading up on the swiss in ww2 since i first seen your post. the allies had to practically starve them into stopping working with the germans