Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1879 cartouche.

Default 1879 cartouche.

Looking at this rifle but the SWP cartouche letters seem to be a little odd or just may be worn.
    Anyone have an opinion if it is correct or forged. The serial # is correct for the year which is in the 120,000 range.
    Springfield-U-S-Model-1879-Trapdoor-45-70-AL5143_101519551_96_C035C1978C8A9155.jpg

Looks alright to me, but a better picture would surely help.

Aside from the nasty gouge that looks pretty good. An artist in wood could make that almost disappear - I couldn't tell where it is, probably bottom of the butt.

Yes it was on the bottom just before the lower barrel band. According to the seller it has now been sold but still listed.
    There's a nice 1st Allin listed on gun broker. It will most likely sell for top dollar.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsr View Post
    There's a nice 1st Allin listed on gun broker. It will most likely sell for top dollar.
    Noticed that. Does it seem to anyone else that the breechblock is remarkably smooth and light in color in some of the pictures? Perhaps a trick of the camera...
    Last edited by Lead Snowstorm; 09-29-2020 at 08:33.

The Breechblock appears to be the same color as the receiver in some photos and lighter in others. One of the photos from the top looks like the door and the receiver are both darker in color than the tang and that looks okay. Overall, the piece looks interesting and the only question for me, so far, involves the ramrod. The seller indicates that all of the M1865 rifles were made from M1863 muskets. That is not correct for the 3 band rifles as planned and produced. They used the M1861 musket and that seems to be the case with this particular rifle. The wider, M61 bands, would have been costly to try to use with M63 rifles as the '63 was designed for a narrower band. The position of the band spring would have made it impractical to use the wider bands of the '61 used correctly on this example.

The only part of the rifle I have a problem with is (sorry to mention this, Dick) the ramrod. The '61 ramrod, with it's swollen design, would not fit in a '63 channel and would not have been able to be seated deep enough to rest behind the muzzle face. Try as I can, I cannot find any photos to clearly show the ramrod in this piece and I would expect to see the swell be be visible from the edge of the front band. The one front-on view, even when lightened up, does not provide an answer. It only hints at a single dimension shaft which would be wrong. So, without some more photos and some comments from those who know better than I, the ramrod is the only thing I see that is out of place - and that would seem to be a minor concern for a rifle that is so hard to find in correct condition. I think there are even a few reproduction '61 rods available.
    Last edited by 70ish; 09-30-2020 at 02:11.

Sorry, but you lost me - I do not recall EVER saying, anywhere, that the First Allin was built on ANYTHING but a 61, including the rod. If I did, it was in error, as that has always been one of the paradoxes regarding the 1A - why did they go back a model. My guess would be that since they were essentially "experimental", they didn't want to chip into their newer stock. Of course, as breechloading caught on, even though the 1A was a poor design, that changed with the 1866 and forward.

However, a lot of the 1A lock plates are dated 1865, but they all - no matter the date - must have the extra relief milling along the top interior edge.

If you look at picture 4 I believe you can see the swell in the ramrod??
    Bidding seems to be slow on this one, I thought it would be much higher by now but there are 5 days left to bid.
    Last edited by Carlsr; 09-30-2020 at 03:37.

10. Default

The rod does have the swell.