Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Rusty Rem-Rand

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Being that its a Remington it will soon be in high demand by collectors. Remington was taken apart by the bankruptcy court and all of the parts offered for sale to the highest bidder. Ruger got Marlin and a group got the ammo portion. The rifle end is still up for grabs but most of the rest has been sold off. But soon anything Remington will like Winchester before it take on a new set of values. Very sad to see another great firearm maker gone.
    Remington Rand (1927–1955) was an early American business machines manufacturer, best known originally as a typewriter manufacturer

From 1942 to 1945, Remington Rand was one manufacturer of the M1911A1 .45 caliber semi-automatic pistol used by the United States Armed Forces during World War II. Remington Rand produced more M1911A1 pistols than any other wartime manufacturer. Remington Rand ranked 66th among United States corporations in the value of World War II military production contracts.

Many gun makers were diverse in what they made besides firearms. Colt for example made electrical switches and breakers. All had to keep the work flowing during times when firearms were not selling.

3. Default

It was not made by Remington Arms. It was made by Remington Rand who was a manufacturer of typewriters, office equipment, and such. Remington Rand got off to a bad start early in production and shut down production until all the bugs were worked out. Under new supervision Remington Rand went on to become the highest production lowest cost producer of the 1911A1.

Remington-UMC did manufacture the Model 1911 pistol in WWI.

Started the redoing of the receiver today. First I placed the receiver into a plastic tray with Dawn soap and hot water to take off any oil, dirt that was there. I now have it soaking in Evapo-Rust to clean the rust off the metal and then I will go from there. Was going to do the electrolysis but not a secure area to do it in now.
    Sam

5. Default

Will be curious to know if the Evapo-Rust affects the phosphate finish.

And just where do you think the name Remington came from? It came from E. Remington and Sons. They started a company making type writers
    and it was on its own by 1886. Then in 1927 it merged with Rand. Remington still had their owner interests in the company till about the mid 50's when the company was finally sold off.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Will be curious to know if the Evapo-Rust affects the phosphate finish.
    It did, down to the metal it is pretty clean. I went ahead rinsed the frame in water and then 0000 wool on the rusty parts, not bad some pitted areas. I put the frame back in for another 12 hour bath and then repeat the scrubbing. To dry I am going to use the air dryer that I use for brass.
    Now to find out which park the Rem-Rand used in 1945, any ideas?
    Sam

8. Default

Remington Rand (1927–1955) was an early American business machines manufacturer, best known originally as a typewriter manufacturer and in a later incarnation as the manufacturer of the UNIVAC line of mainframe computers.

The Remington Rand company was formed in 1927 by the merger of the Remington Typewriter Company and the Rand Kardex Company.

The Remington Rand Model 1911A1 was manufactured in the Syracuse plant, which had previously been used to manufacture typewriters. One of the nicknames for the Remington Rand pistol was "Typewriter Gun".

The General Shaver Company was a subsidiary of Remington Rand that made electric shavers, which made field replacement magazines during WWII identified by a seam down the back and a G on top of the toe.

9. Default

I recall office/admin types being referred to as Remington Raiders when I was in the service.

I just took the receiver out of the brass dryer and I was wrong on the removal of the original finish, it is still there. Discoloration only appears under the plastic grips and some pitting on the front. I doubt that I will refinish it maybe touch up the pits with a little Brownell's cold blue and then card the pitted area for protection from rust.
    Sam