1. Default Mercury oral thermometers- tip on how to shake down

Mercury column has a kink in it- one has to shake the column down to say 97 degrees F to be able to use to get a new reading.

Some shake down with arm movements and wrist snaps.

Wrap the thermometer in paper towel, put in a long sock, and whip the sock around in a circle. Do this in wide open spaces.

Under tongue, at least 2min. 3 may be best.

98.6 is the norm for oral. Diff people and diff time of day diff reading.

Armpit and also anal norms are diff. Kids prob diff to.

A repeated wrist snap works for me.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    A repeated wrist snap works for me.
    The wrist snap doesn't work well for me but the whirl method works a treat.

Paid $49.95 and purchased a laser type. Press the button, instant read out. Same type most medical buildings are using when you enter their building.. Like it...

John in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

5. Default

If one wanted to go to an extreme, could rig up a centrifuge device. As a disk with an axle or a bicycle wheel. No, I don't plan to do this.

Radio Shack now offers several models of their IR thermometers at very reasonable prices. I have one of their first models and I like it because I can actually hear it beep when it's ready to be read. A high dollar model I bought elsewhere is much harder to use and I've not got the hearing to hear it. I got tired of putting in my hearing aids just check my temp.

There can't possible still be real Radio Shacks around. Probably online like everything else. The last Bricks and Mortar(it was a strip mall) place I went into was being managed by a couple of Liberal low life jack off kids(my Red) who were sitting on the counter and had no idea what a capacitor was. IR being infrared? I used to worry as a kid about putting that glass thing in my mouth. I'm a worrier. What if it broke.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Radioshack.com is very much alive online. They're adding new products regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by phil441 View Post
    Radioshack.com is very much alive online. They're adding new products regularly.
    Glad to hear that. The last of the local shops here closed about 2 years ago. Toward the end they were selling mostly cell phones and dish TV contracts, which as you know, isn't unique to Radioshack.

I remember back in their heydays when they sold Heathkit radio kits (and other electronic kits). Kids now days don't have any interest learning how to solder and radio's are pretty much obsolete.

As far as the thermometer goes I use the wrist snap. If a person gets carpal tunnel syndrone or arthritis the whirl method will come in handy.

As far as digital meters go I don't fully trust them. Yes they are handy, easy to read, quicker and overall more pleasant to use but the meter gives you a number. If you like the number you go with it. If it gives you a number you don't like you question whether the meter needs calibrating (if possible) or if it is accurate and you have a health problem.

The old mercury thermometer is cut and dry.