Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default True story, happened this week...

Perusing gun broker and came across a nice looking late featured inland M1 listing.. Serial number in the 7 million, with M2 marked receiver, 45 dated barrel. A legitimate inland M2. The seller was a pawn shop in Jonesboro, AR who had no idea what it was. It was purchased by them as part of a large collection. The seller had purchased it years ago in an estate sale. I alerted the seller to the issue by email . I called the ATF with the serial number and was told it was not in the registry. I called the pawn shop today and asked them about it. Fortunately they read my email (never got a response) and contacted the ATF. They told me they had buyer pleading with them to end the auction early as the reserve was met. This beautiful piece of history came to an inglorious, although legal, end today when they sawed it in half. .. I am buying the barrel, stock, and small parts however, so not all is lost.
    Here is the ended auction.
    https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/878732931

Another case of the absolute stupidity of some gun laws. The only difference being whether the receiver received a 1 or a 2. Years ago I saw one at a small gun show with the MII Stamped receiver and NRA/DCM sales papers. I told the owner what it was, but didn't call the ATF.

Yep. Your unelected civil servants at the ATF decided long ago that an M2 receiver is FA with their 'Once an MG, always an MG' idiocy.
    They ran around confiscating surplused M14 receivers without compensation, as I recall, several years ago. You need to scream at your elected representatives about unelected civil servants being allowed to make law by regulation.
    "...stupidity of some gun laws..." This one, the unelected civil servants being allowed to make law one, is the GCA of 1968. The worst part is that our idiots copied the 'Once an MG, always an MG' idiocy.
    Spelling and grammar count!

So, why was this any of your business?
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hal O'Peridol View Post
    So, why was this any of your business?
    +1

Are you asking me why it was any of my business? I believe in helping people when they clearly are making an honest mistake that could cost them dearly in legal terms. I guess you don't...

I did not rat them out the ATF. I only asked if the carbine was on the registry, and gave the ATF no additional information. I passed this along to the seller and advised them what they should do. They were free at that point to make their own decision. They were very appreciative of my help, by the way. If it had been registered, I was going to buy it, and offer them what it was really worth- another reason why it was my business.

Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal O'Peridol View Post
    Don't break your arm patting yourself on the back.
    Don't worry, I'm not. I absolutely did the right thing, and most people reading this would agree. You, however, come across as a jackass.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mitchell6776 View Post
    Don't worry, I'm not. I absolutely did the right thing, and most people reading this would agree. You, however, come across as a jackass.
    please read the rules in this forum,

One more thing before you post another witty retort- The point of my post was not to "pat myself on the back". I always thought the "I went to buy an M1 carbine and it was marked M2" stories were somewhat apocryphal, and never really happened. Up to 10 years in prison and 250K fine for selling an unregistered machine gun is not something most people are interested in. The fact that the end result of this was the prompt destruction of the rifle illustrates the absurdity of some of the laws, as other people pointed out.

We could go back and forth with this ad infinitum. My posts speak to the type of person I am. Your's speak to the type of person you are. I think we are very different.