Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    All Savage magazines will have the rifle’s serial number stamped on it.
    I've had some thoughts about that but I'm nowhere near my references to double check. Trying to determine whether or not Savage was an exception to the rule of the time.

Serial numbered magazines came into vogue during No5 rifle production very late in the War. Then the decision was made to extend the practice on to other rifles. Those rifles already in the field which were unnumbered were to be marked upon being returned for service, or upon entering storage at depot. This only applied to rifles remaining in British service and there was no mass recall for the sake of markings.

As I said above, I'm unsure from memory whether or not Savage marked their production. They did have a lot of exceptions in regard to straying from pattern when it came to output.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

The magazine on my Savage No. 4 is marked with my rifle’s serial number. The Savage magazine that’s currently for sale on eBay is also marked with a rifle’s serial number. I mentioned it to make him aware that Savage did stamp the rifle’s serial numbers on their magazines. If it’s important to him to not have mixed serial numbers, and it’s possible that not all were marked, then he’ll know to keep looking for a Savage magazine that doesn’t have serial numbers. What about Savage replacement magazines? They wouldn’t have serial numbers, right? Finding one might be difficult.

Edit: My No. 4 was missing a few minor external parts when I bought it several years ago. I found everything I needed on eBay or from dealers in the US, but I noticed several UK dealers who were selling large quantities of various unused NOS Lee Enfield parts that I didn’t need on eBay. Maybe they’re still around. A continuing search on eBay can be done for anything and be notified when something desirable gets posted.
    Last edited by Merc; 09-09-2020 at 05:15.

Go to Marstar, not E-Bay. (Marstar doesn't fund the people who want to take your firearms away from you. E-Bay does that.) Front sight blades are $7.50Cdn.($5.70USD) each. No idea if there are border issues. Kind of doubt it, but I don't know for sure.
    https://marstar.ca/product-category/...d-accessories/
    However, finding Savage made parts will likely be an issue. None made since 1944.
    Remington made '03A3 parts shouldn't be too difficult. Only other maker was Smith-Corona. All remaining parts, etc, were sent to Long Branch when the Contract ended.
    Keep in mind that putting in original manufacturer parts does not make the thing "all original". It's still a rebuild.
    Please reduce the size of your pictures.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Thanks for the advice, I will check marstar.
    "In God We Trust"

Sarco would be another place to look at. www.sarcoinc.com
    All the remaining Savage parts and rifles were sent to Long Branch when the Savage contract ended. That should have been up a line. snicker.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Savage did not number magazines at the factory.

If your looking for Savage specific parts, also check Apex Gun Parts. They ended up with a vast quantity of the parts from Springfield Sporters.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!

Quote Originally Posted by Hal O'Peridol View Post
    Savage did not number magazines at the factory.

If your looking for Savage specific parts, also check Apex Gun Parts. They ended up with a vast quantity of the parts from Springfield Sporters.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/
    I strongly suspected as much but second guessed about the numbering. Thank you for the clarification.

It's starting to feel like I'll never get home. Always something else to do when I'm on the verge of completion.
    I'm supposed to be a RETIRED carpenter!
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    Sarco would be another place to look at. www.sarcoinc.com
    All the remaining Savage parts and rifles were sent to Long Branch when the Savage contract ended. That should have been up a line. snicker.
    Sarco and Numrich would be last on the list,

Apex, as Hal mentioned,

ebay, (esp ebay UK), I've bought stuff from off Ebay.co.uk or whatever the English web address is, shipped to Va cheaper that I could buy here in the US

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ENFIELD-NO-...MAAOSwnzNfVmSz

Here’s a Savage mag without the S/N. I checked with the seller.

So, I’ve seen several Savage mags that had the rifle S/Ns stamped on them. They’re always the same. XXC over XXXX and they are always stamped in the middle of the base. Who would have done it?

Usually the Brits or S Africans, especially when the rifle went through an FTR or upgrade to No4Mk1/3
    Enfield, everything else is just a rifle. Unless it's a Garand.

Long pig, it's what's for Dinner!