Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

It appears to me that the trigger guard is reversed from what it should be on a carbine.
    It might be the Trigger guard was taken apart and reassembled wrong when the arm was refinished.
    Last edited by Fred; 09-04-2020 at 08:22.

After seeing all of the pictures, my opinion of the gun has risen considerably, but I still cannot explain the muzzle/front sight, and would expect a humped band. FWIW, the serial number is good for a carbine. I have a similar piece, in similar condition (but not over-cleaned as that one is) with the 1890 band but lacking the sight hood! Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. My serial is 452770 (which I always kinda liked because it was 45-70 wrapped around my wife's birthday. Getting senile.

Yes Fred, the bow is on backwards.
    It just doesn't look right Dick even though the serial number is good. The cartouche looks to be burnt in, not stamped but that could be from how it was cleaned and that muzzle??? Seems to be picking up some traction now as it's up to 675.00
    I had a bid in on it but had it removed due to the muzzle. Would have been nice to have an 89 produced carbine to go with my minty 89 rifle 😁

It's a nice looker for sure. Could it be the crown was damaged at some point and it was cut back a hair to fix the damage. It's sure looks the part and if fake, someone went to a lot of trouble even down to the C marked Buffington sight.
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

The cartouche looks good to me. The stock appears to’ve been lightly cleaned or sanded. The muzzle looks good to me, but weren’t crowns supposed to be in the white? The carbine bluing appears to have been refinished. But not hot blued.
    Beats me.

Probably because the stock has been cleaned the cartouche has that burned in appearance. The crown was the last part finished on the barrel which was after being browned. The crown should be in the white and this one isn't along with almost being kind of a square and fat appearance. Like Tkacook mentioned it may have been damaged then repaired along with the rest of the carbine????

7. Default

This carbine reminds me in some ways of my 1899 Krag, which I think at some point had the wood lightly sanded and refinished, and the metal restored. The appearance of the cartouche in particular seems similar:

Last edited by Lead Snowstorm; 09-05-2020 at 04:09.

That does look rather similar.

I have photos in the link what the crown supposed to look like on a carbine. further down post are more pictures, I did not purchase it due to broken stock but these are pics sent to me. also a picture of a pitted carbine barrel crown i got off internet. My 77 carbine measures under 0.730, it is 0.721 or so, but i believe it is because of pitting and wear around the bore. The one mentioned here in post i believe is cutdown. The front sight being hidden by the hood cover and obvious cutdown job would keep me away, but i could be wrong it sold for 1300.

http://www.jouster2.com/forums/showt...nion-on-barrel

10. Default

SRS jumps from 458XXX to 461XXX with no carbines on either side for a long ways.