Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Update on vehicle hunt

Last three months daughter and I have been looking for a replacement vehicle for her Grand Wagoneer with no luck. Book value and what the dealer's are asking is just too high. Dealer's "blame" it on CV-19 so we have kept looking. She is also drawn to bells and whistles instead of longevity. The new Jeep's just don't cut it for me, so I am giving her the use of my F-150. To replace it I am looking @ several F-250 and one has caught my eye...a 5.7 Diesel. Best of all it is about 7 grand lower then book! It is an 11 and in good shape, needs more aggressive ties thou. As soon as my mechanic can take a look at it I am going to drop it off for a look see. He charges $50 for a thorough inspection which is reasonable.
    Sam

Blog Entries

don't know anyone in the car biz anymore, but imagine the market it a bit tight since not that many 20's were built,

friend did tell me that if you wanted a new Vette, order today and delivery sometime in the fall,, of 2021

- - - Updated - - -

meanwhile

how about one of these

https://www.japaneseclassics.com/veh...-land-cruiser/

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Last three months daughter and I have been looking for a replacement vehicle for her Grand Wagoneer with no luck. Book value and what the dealer's are asking is just too high. Dealer's "blame" it on CV-19 so we have kept looking. She is also drawn to bells and whistles instead of longevity. The new Jeep's just don't cut it for me, so I am giving her the use of my F-150. To replace it I am looking @ several F-250 and one has caught my eye...a 5.7 Diesel. Best of all it is about 7 grand lower then book! It is an 11 and in good shape, needs more aggressive ties thou. As soon as my mechanic can take a look at it I am going to drop it off for a look see. He charges $50 for a thorough inspection which is reasonable.
    Sam
    Be real careful buying a used ford diesel, I don't remember the size but Ford has a diesel engine that is only good for about 80 thousand miles. Its only about 16000 dollars to replace the engine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sako View Post
    Be real careful buying a used ford diesel, I don't remember the size but Ford has a diesel engine that is only good for about 80 thousand miles. Its only about 16000 dollars to replace the engine.
    Before I buy anything I research what is wrong with it and then decide if the pro's outweigh the con's.
    Sam

Don't be ordering a 2020 Corvette! The new mid engine Vette has a lot of teething problems. :-)

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    Don't be ordering a 2020 Corvette! The new mid engine Vette has a lot of teething problems. :-)
    Dont know the reality, but many warn that the more modern corvettes have complex problems and maintenance is expensive. You would have to be insane or wealthy to have any exotic, new or old. Put a few miles on or dont do req maintenance (very expensive) and resale price, it is said, drops off that proverbial cliff.

I cannot imagine the Corvette makes money for GM, at any price.

Quote Originally Posted by Sako View Post
    It's mainly the 6.0 engine and it's not the engine it's a host of things on the engine like injectors and such. This is not a Ford engine. I don't know why they replaced their perfectly good 7.3 International diesel with this but they did.

Replacing the known parts that fail with updated aftermarket parts is referred to as "bullet proofing".

I hear the newer Ford 6.4 is much better but personally I wouldn't buy anyones diesel.

Diesels, no matter how good or bad have diesel inherit problems.

1. Two batteries to maintain and a minimum RPM is required for a diesel to start. So batteries have to always be fresh.
    2. Oil changes. Due to all the carbon in diesel fuel the engine oil darkens quickly and changing it is more crucial than gas engines. Diesels hold more oil (probably 8-9 quarts on a small truck engine). Diesels usually take larger filters too so not all "quick lube" places will have them in stock. Also need to use diesel grade oils.
    3. Cold weather starting. Diesels fire under their own compression. Cold engines with cold fuel don't like to fire off. Some have glow plugs. Some have engine heaters that have to be plugged in to an AC current source overnight. Simple glow plug technology works well but leave it to Detroit to screw that up too. I know GM uses a computer to control the GP circuitry. These computers constantly malfunction. When they do---no start till the heat of the day warms everything up.
    4. It's not so much a problem these days but in the older days diesel could only be purchased at truck stops. Still not all stations carry diesel. If she were traveling this could be a problem.
    5. Air in the line. This can be caused by a number of things such as the position of the filter/water separator or if you let your fuel tanks run low. Diesel foams from vibration causing air in the fuel. This is similar to the old cars having vapor lock. On a diesel the fuel pump/injector pump has to be bled of the air and sometimes each injector. Not fun, and remember you can't crank on it a lot because you have to maintain a near full charge on those batteries for a diesel to fire under it's on compression (minimum required RPM).
    6. Water in the fuel. Small amounts of water in gasoline are mixed due to the ethanol now in most gasoline. Diesels, since they fire under their own compression have super high compression ratio's like 22 to 1 vs 9 to 1 on a gas eng. so the combustion chamber space is tiny. A small amount of water (water doesn't compress) will destroy a diesel engine bending rods, shattering pistons and breaking the starter armature. Sometimes you get off lightly with just a blown head gasket (still a major repair). Most all diesels have water separators that work fairly well but they have their limits and have to be checked and bled off routinely. Something else your daughter may not get "into".
    7. All parts unique to diesel's are more expensive.
    8. All service unique to a diesel is more expensive and fewer mechanics are qualified for such work.

It use to be that selling points to buying a diesel was the extra engine life and lower cost of the fuel. That's not so much the case any longer.

I've noticed on craigslist and used car listings that while diesels cost way more new they sell for less than their gasoline cousins used with the same milage/condition (especially GM). There's a reason for that.

Do not compare industrial diesel engines found on large trucks and farm tractors to automotive diesels.
    Last edited by Gun Smoke; 08-31-2020 at 10:57.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Smoke View Post
    It's mainly the 6.0 engine and it's not the engine it's a host of things on the engine like injectors and such. This is not a Ford engine. I don't know why they replaced their perfectly good 7.3 International diesel with this but they did.

Replacing the known parts that fail with updated aftermarket parts is referred to as "bullet proofing".

I hear the newer Ford 6.4 is much better but personally I wouldn't buy anyones diesel.

Diesels, no matter how good or bad have diesel inherit problems.

1. Two batteries to maintain and a minimum RPM is required for a diesel to start. So batteries have to always be fresh.
    2. Oil changes. Due to all the carbon in diesel fuel the engine oil darkens quickly and changing it is more crucial than gas engines. Diesels hold more oil (probably 8-9 quarts on a small truck engine). Diesels usually take larger filters too so not all "quick lube" places will have them in stock. Also need to use diesel grade oils.
    3. Cold weather starting. Diesels fire under their own compression. Cold engines with cold fuel don't like to fire off. Some have glow plugs. Some have engine heaters that have to be plugged in to an AC current source overnight. Simple glow plug technology works well but leave it to Detroit to screw that up too. I know GM uses a computer to control the GP circuitry. These computers constantly malfunction. When they do---no start till the heat of the day warms everything up.
    4. It's not so much a problem these days but in the older days diesel could only be purchased at truck stops. Still not all stations carry diesel. If she were traveling this could be a problem.
    5. Air in the line. This can be caused by a number of things such as the position of the filter/water separator or if you let your fuel tanks run low. Diesel foams from vibration causing air in the fuel. This is similar to the old cars having vapor lock. On a diesel the fuel pump/injector pump has to be bled of the air and sometimes each injector. Not fun, and remember you can't crank on it a lot because you to maintain a near full charge on those batteries for a diesel to fire under it's on compression (minimum required RPM).
    6. Water in the fuel. Small amounts of water in gasoline are mixed due to the ethanol now in most gasoline. Diesels, since they fire under their own compression have super high compression ratio's like 22 to 1 vs 9 to 1 of a gas eng. so the combustion chamber space is tiny. A small amount of water (water doesn't compress) will destroy a diesel engine bending rods, shattering pistons and breaking the starter armature. Most all diesels have water separators that work fairly well but they have their limits and have to be checked and bled off routinely. Something else your daughter may not get "into".
    7. All parts unique to diesel's are more expensive.
    8. All service unique to a diesel is more expensive and fewer mechanics are qualified for such work.

It use to be that selling points to buying a diesel was the extra engine life and lower cost of the fuel. That's not so much the case any longer.

I've noticed on craigslist and used car listings that while diesels cost way more new they sell for less than their gasoline cousins used with the same milage/condition (especially GM). There's a reason for that.
    Have taken this in consideration as opposed to gasoline.
    My mechanic can work on just about anything that he sets his mind to AND is quite reasonable.
    I have a lifetime [tks to my wife] discount card @ Wal-Mart so my consumables are somewhat cheaper in this regard.
    I am still looking for my "perfect" deal regarding a replacement truck.
    Sam

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    Last three months daughter and I have been looking for a replacement vehicle for her Grand Wagoneer with no luck. Book value and what the dealer's are asking is just too high. Dealer's "blame" it on CV-19 so we have kept looking.
    CV-19 has impacted new car production which has a trickle down affect on used car/truck availability but mostly what I'm seeing is that with so many on unemployment compensation now plus the extra $600 a week some are temporarily rolling in cash. Those that aren't buying that "long sought after 75" TV" are buying up used cars. I've seen many used car lots go from having 2 or 3 dozen cars go down to near zero.

The $600 extra per week has now ended and may be replaced with Trumps $300 per week (or not) so the availability and prices should slowly start to return as people realize they may have to go back to work some day and not get paid to do nothing.

Good luck---keep us posted.