Default A. O. Niedner Model 1903 rifle converted to 22 rim fire

I found these old auction photos of a A. O Niedner conversion of the M1903 to 22 rim fire. This
    conversion was done in the east coast before Niedner moved to Dowagiac, Michigan in 1920. It
    would appear that Niedner also used the safety lug like the later M1 and M2 Springfield rim fire
    rifles. This might be the first conversion of the 1903 to 22 rim fire ? Niedner was a gunsmith
    from 1906 to his retirement in 1940.

DSCN3285.jpgDSCN3282.jpgDSCN3283.jpg

Have read about Niedner all my adult life. The pictures of that rifle and the workmanship displayed is remarkable. What a joy it would be to own and use such a rifle. sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    This might be the first conversion of the 1903 to 22 rim fire ?
    Could be, but Pope converted Krags. The Krags he converted had a specific practical purpose: indoor practice with a .22 that had the weight & feel of the service rifle. What Niedner's conversion looks more like to me is an exercise in "proving he could do it," like his scopes, & of course he COULD do anything in metal work. Would be interesting to know if he built the gun for himself, or a client like Dr. Mann.

Niedner and Mann also modified the Winchester Hi Wall to overcome any danger from the firing pin with more powerful
    cartridges such as the 25 Krag

Re: The Hoffer Thompson converted 1903 rifles were used for training and fired the 22 short
    Last edited by RCS; 08-28-2020 at 06:26.