Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

north.

My Dr. only offers laser surgery which sounds like the best way to go. Anyone out there with a cataract story to relate?

Had laser surgery 2 years ago, check up 6 weeks ago and I checked out 20/20. Wife had hers last month went for final checkup yesterday and she has 20/20.

I had option of surgeon using knife or laser, I chose laser. In my and wife’s case Medicare will not pay a penny for laser but will with surgeon using knife. I paid out of pocket, couldn’t quite get my mind to accept knife in my eye. Probably a mental thing..LOL

John in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...that are accurate or they're long gone..." Battle rifles aren't and weren't made for great accuracy. Neither was the issue ammo.
    Scoping an as issued Lee-Enfield is a kind of waste of money. And it reduces the value of the rifle. An already bubba'd rifle has no collector value though.
    None of the aftermarket no gun-smithing bases are very good and a lot of 'em require removing the rear sight.
    "...having cataract surgery..." A scope will not help if you have cataracts. A scope will not make a rifle accurate either.
    The Canadian made high quality scope mount that I installed on my No. 4 did require the rear sight to be removed but it isn’t permanent so no damage was inflicted on the rifle. As I mentioned previously, the scope mount can be removed and the original sight can be reinstalled and the rifle restored to its original configuration in less than 10 minutes. I posted some photos here that showed the targets so, yes I was able to shoot the rifle more accurately with the scope in spite of the cataracts. I can best compare looking through cataracts to as if you were looking through slightly fogged glasses. You sound as if you don’t have cataracts yet, but nearly everyone gets them at some point in their lives. The No 4 might be the most accurate shooting rifle I own. The scope just allowed me to see the target more clearly and to aim the rifle more accurately.

From what I’ve read, the HXP Greek ammo has a good reputation for accuracy even though it fires a military grade bullet. I was impressed.
    Last edited by Merc; 10-22-2020 at 04:09.

Quote Originally Posted by JOHN COOK View Post
    Had laser surgery 2 years ago, check up 6 weeks ago and I checked out 20/20. Wife had hers last month went for final checkup yesterday and she has 20/20.

I had option of surgeon using knife or laser, I chose laser. In my and wife’s case Medicare will not pay a penny for laser but will with surgeon using knife. I paid out of pocket, couldn’t quite get my mind to accept knife in my eye. Probably a mental thing..LOL

John in SC
    John,

I also don’t want to have my cataracts removed with a knife. The laser is more uniform and precise and the incision is supposed to heal faster with less pain.

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    wife is having hers done in Dec,

lens replacement, not sure if lasers are involved or not,
    I read as much as I could about both methods. My doctor charges $2300 per eye for the laser surgery so it’s expensive and Medicare will only cover the knife method.

not,
    I read as much as I could about both methods. My doctor charges $2300 per eye for the laser surgery so it’s expensive and Medicare will only cover the knife method.
    Wow, we paid $1400.00. per eye. Our surgeon operates only on Wednesday, you have follow up next day. I was amazed at the colors were so vivid afterwards.

John in SC
    “Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.” (Luke 22:36)

Blog Entries

wife is young , only 54

but has had bad eyesight for a long while,

first 2 docs told here she had cataracts, but would not do anything until she got worse, unless she wanted to pay,
    $8K an eye,, insurance would not cover unless the doc said it was needed,

we traveled to see her mom's doc, who did a great job with her mom's cataracts, and he said they were bad enough for insurance to cover,

still has to pay for some , depending on what lens she decides to get

The most evident advantage of laser is that it can be programmed to work at the precise depth and only the exact area involved. Humans can't whittle that good.
    Haven't needed cataract surgery yet. I'm the youngest of the old guys in my crowd being in my mid 60s. Many of my friends are half bionic man though. I listen closely as they tell their medical war stories.
    To repair my hernia, my doc called a friend out of retirement to sew me up since I opted not to go with mesh. I heard the horror stories long before the ambulance chasers began advertising the class action lawsuits.

A Japanese friend had cataracts for long time. Now he drive a Rincoln.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by lyman View Post
    wife is young , only 54

but has had bad eyesight for a long while,

first 2 docs told here she had cataracts, but would not do anything until she got worse, unless she wanted to pay,
    $8K an eye,, insurance would not cover unless the doc said it was needed,

we traveled to see her mom's doc, who did a great job with her mom's cataracts, and he said they were bad enough for insurance to cover,

still has to pay for some , depending on what lens she decides to get
    This is an old thread but I sing the praises of cataract surgery every chance I get.

Optometrists tend to tell you your cataracts aren't "bad enough yet" because they want to sell you glasses. My cataracts were bad enough that I was afraid to drive at night but my Optometrist still told me I didn't need the surgery. I went to see an opthamalgist and he told me they looked bad enough to him. The surgery was a piece of cake, five to seven minutes total each eye for the surgery. They don't do both eyes at once, at least my doc didn't he did them a week apart. The difference was dramatic, I could see true colors again. If you have cataracts you are basically looking at the world through what amounts to smeared up amber sunglasses. Even though I was corrected for far vision I can read normal print without glasses in good light (your mileage may vary) and not having to wear glasses in bad weather is a true blessing.

As I understand it there is no laser surgery for cataracts. Cataract surgery involves removing the lens of the eye and replacing it with an implant. Sort of glasses on the inside. To do the surgery the anesthesiologist "gives you a little margarita " LOL because you have to be able to focus on the little light over your head for the doc to work. There is no knife as such. The surgeon makes a small punch incision at the edge of the cornea, pulverizes and extracts the old lens with a tool, inserts the new lens (which is rolled up) through the incision, unrolls it and you're done. I didn't feel a darn thing, zero pain or discomfort. Eye drops are necessary for a week or so but that's it. While I don't have the superior vision I did in my 20s its still pretty darn good.

If you're over 65 Medicaid will pick up a big chunk of the bill. If you have good supplemental insurance the cost to you will be minimal. In my case it was no out of pocket at all.

I recommend the surgery highly. Being able to shoot with iron sights again alone made it worth it .
    Last edited by Art; 10-27-2020 at 02:52.

Hello Art!

Regarding lasers, they approved the laser for cataract surgery a few years ago. Probably closer to ten years ago, but the procedure has become more popular with the increase in availability. Perhaps within the last five years or so? Said that because that's when I began hearing more about it.
    There are restrictions though. Not everyone is a candidate.
    Betting there is a cost differential which likely explains it not being covered by certain insurance carriers.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Thanks for the info. Science and technology march on.

I do know that one of the reasons insurance companies don't cover new (and more expensive) procedures is the idea that the older method is just as good. Sometimes yes....sometimes no.