Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

are the rings loose?

a dab or 2 of some sticky stuff, like accraglass gel, or some double sided tape will work,

A 1/4" snip of friction tape centered on the lower half of the rings works too.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I took the No. 4 (with the scope installed) to the range yesterday and I could still hit the target in a 2 inch group at 100 yards. No adjustment was necessary.

I torqued the small hex head ring screws as tightly as I dared and the scope still moved a few mils. I have some double sided tape that I’ll try.

The ammo I shot was head stamped “HXP 83” that I bought from a friend. It’s FMJ military ammo made by the Greeks. I have been reloading commercial .303 soft points so I was curious to see how the military FMJs would do. They performed very well and I’m anxious to shoot more of this ammo, but I noticed a few minor things hardly worth mentioning: The cartridges chambered and shot accurately and the empty cases ejected smoothly but the fired cases bulged out considerably near the head due to the spacious No. 4 chamber. After examining them closely, I’m surprised they ejected so easily. I cleaned the rifle today and it seemed like it took a lot more effort, patches and solvent than usual to get the barrel bore to give up the metallic fouling.

It isn't unusual to have deformed brass in an Enfield rifle. The chambers are generous as you noted. Intended for ammo from anywhere in the Empire and under any conditions. Safe for firing but reloading was never part of the equation.
    Modern brass is thinner than milspec so problems can arise amongst those unfamiliar with the nuances. HXP is good brass though. It can be reloaded and if done correctly it should last a good number of times.
    If this rifle is the only one you're using it's easy. The brass is fireformed to your chamber, so neck size only.no point in overworking the case body when it doesn't need to be. You can make it look pretty but you might be reducing case life dramatically.

If you have any doubts or reservations simply put up a few pics. Guys here do more reloading than I do and might spot something relevant to your needs. They might also find a quirk which will need attention? Don't be bashful. It can't hurt to let others see.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    It isn't unusual to have deformed brass in an Enfield rifle. The chambers are generous as you noted. Intended for ammo from anywhere in the Empire and under any conditions. Safe for firing but reloading was never part of the equation.
    Modern brass is thinner than milspec so problems can arise amongst those unfamiliar with the nuances. HXP is good brass though. It can be reloaded and if done correctly it should last a good number of times.
    If this rifle is the only one you're using it's easy. The brass is fireformed to your chamber, so neck size only.no point in overworking the case body when it doesn't need to be. You can make it look pretty but you might be reducing case life dramatically.

If you have any doubts or reservations simply put up a few pics. Guys here do more reloading than I do and might spot something relevant to your needs. They might also find a quirk which will need attention? Don't be bashful. It can't hurt to let others see.
    your advise on neck sizing is spot on ,

and yes, HXP is some really good ammo, both the .303 and the .30-06 they made

I’ll neck size these cases and see how they chamber and eject. Previous neck sized .303 cases, made by various manufacturers that I reloaded, were often difficult to chamber and eject in my No. 4 due to cases that were bulging.

Does anyone know what kind of powder the Greeks used?

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post

Does anyone know what kind of powder the Greeks used?
    Combustible. Definitely combustible.
    Seriously, I don't know. Cant remember but recall someone breaking down some rounds years ago when making comparrisons. I cant even remember which site that was on. Ask Lyman as I'm sure he can help you with that. No problem.

Hey Lyman, here comes a bus!!! LOL
    Last edited by JB White; 09-06-2020 at 07:09.

5120E280-1F3F-46BF-A106-D0D110048907.jpg03572C1E-F090-4B31-B49A-64E23CA4D07A.jpg4AB7B826-4045-42B2-879B-CFBB037B15C3.jpg

A day at the range with my 76 year old Savage No. 4 Mk 1*. Shooting Greek ammo with the scope was a lot of fun.

The first target was 4 shots aimed at the center at 50 yards. I shot the group after a few scope adjustments to get on target paper. No, I didn’t purposely try to make a face. If I did, it would have been smiling. The group was tight but a bit off center to the right.

The next target was 3 shots aimed at the center at 100 yards. The first shot drifted right and was on the target edge. Some fine tuning was required. The in-between shot was after adjusting the scope 3 clicks left and 3 clicks down and the shot that was in the center of the target was after adjusting the scope another 3 clicks left and 3 clicks down.

The rifle is very predictable and is still an accurate shooter after all these years.
    Last edited by Merc; 10-08-2020 at 12:58.

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    . . . . . .Does anyone know what kind of powder the Greeks used?
    I once got a whiff of the smoke from my Greek ammo . . . . .

I figure “ground-up grape leaves” was part of their powder recipie!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Combustible. Definitely combustible.
    Seriously, I don't know. Cant remember but recall someone breaking down some rounds years ago when making comparrisons. I cant even remember which site that was on. Ask Lyman as I'm sure he can help you with that. No problem.

Hey Lyman, here comes a bus!!! LOL
    thanks JB!!!

I earned that one ,

I honestly have no idea, but if I can remember, I can pull a round later,

I loaded up a bunch of cast boolit loads a few years ago and tried them in a longbranch, and cannot remember what powder I used,

did well tho,, at 100