Default BT&BCO marked M1907 leather sling

I have a M1907 leather sling with brass hooks and large stamped BT&BCO now is
    this a WW1 sling or pre WW2 sling ?

most WW1 M1907 slings also have the date and inspectors initalsdscn1349_0011.jpgdscn1348_0010.jpg

To the best of my knowledge there were no Model 1907 slings manufactured between 1918 and 1942. Such huge quantities were ordered and delivered for WWI that they continued to be used right up until WWII.

I have an as unissued Model 1903 Springfield that was a NRA/DCM Sales rifle from June of 1936 that has a like new condition Model 1907 sling dated 1918.

I also have a B.T. & B. CO. sling that does not appear to have a date stamp or inspector initials.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    most WW1 M1907 slings also have the date and inspectors initals
    Most is quite right, but most isn't all; in the rush to take the peacetime Army to a war footing, would a batch of undated (for whatever reason), but otherwise perfectly acceptable slings be rejected? The urgency of wartime conditions usually creates a tolerance for exceptions to normal protocol.

4. Default

BT&B CO. is Belber Trunk & Bag Co. of Philadelphia, Pa. who was a WWI manufacturer of leather sling parts. BT&B CO is one of several leather manufacturers listed in the House of Representatives War Expenditures Hearings that were held after WWI in 1921.
    Last edited by Tom Doniphon; 09-05-2020 at 09:12.