Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by togor View Post
    Gradual sell-off of those pieces that are not going to family or friends has worked for some collectors getting out of the hobby. Good luck, hope it goes well for you.
    Bingo! The ones my son wants are either already his or are tagged with his name on the gun sacks. My daughter only wants to know how much they're worth. (Flaming teeth gnashing liberal she has become)
    So the safe queens have been slowly going down the road. After a few good sales, I've told my son "Let's go spend your sisters inheritance"
    That makes his day!
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Bingo! The ones my son wants are either already his or are tagged with his name on the gun sacks. My daughter only wants to know how much they're worth. (Flaming teeth gnashing liberal she has become)
    So the safe queens have been slowly going down the road. After a few good sales, I've told my son "Let's go spend your sisters inheritance"
    That makes his day!
    Hahaha that's a pretty cool way to handle it.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    After a few good sales, I've told my son "Let's go spend your sisters inheritance"
    That makes his day!
    Bravo for that! But it would be safer to actually get them into your son's possession without her knowing about it. If you drop dead & they're still in your house, tags won't mean anything.

4. Default

This thread needs YOUR helpful comments.

CA55EFF7-0516-4C2C-BA33-534E230A3DA0.jpgAn Air Force armorer who rebuilt two M-1s for me became a wheelchair case after some USAF back surgery that went poorly. He passed away in 1991 and when some of his USAF marksmanship friends went out to his house to pay respects and were treated to seeing his relatives walk out with armloads of guns, specie, etc.; rather appalling.

I prefer the concept of selling through a dealer / my favorite local just raised their commission from 15% to 20%, which is too high. Grrrrr! I think a gradual sell off is the best idea when a person gets to that point.

Now I have a collection of about 1,000 1:1200 scale waterline ships. Some are WW-2 ID models, some kitbuilt, a few are scratchbuilt. The average one is probably worth $15-20 but you’d be surprised at what some of the finely detailed ones out of Germany sell for. Not a “big” hobby. Hard to part that one out...
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 08-24-2020 at 09:22.

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    Bravo for that! But it would be safer to actually get them into your son's possession without her knowing about it. If you drop dead & they're still in your house, tags won't mean anything.
    That has been discussed. As it stands, he's raising my grand daughter in an apartment and his wife feels as though its best to leave them in the safes they're in right now.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    +1

Not to leave your daughter short ended, you could always leave her other things such as your wifes jewelry, furniture, car, etc...

Blog Entries

togor is correct,

sell them off gradually until they are gone,

however, you still need to know what you have, and what goes with them (as in do you have a box of accessories etc for them)

may be a good idea to do a good inventory of what is where,

meanwhile,

museums, generally it will either be sold for funds,, or put in storage until someone decides to sell them for funds, unless it is a truly unique piece,

with out knowing what type of firearms you have, or the rarity if any, auction houses are generally not that great an idea,
    RIA and similar only really push the nice stuff in the big catalog auctions, full retail is rarely achieved in the other lesser auctions,

and most dealers or LGS's have to make a profit,

some may treat you well, some may stick it to you,

9. Default Where to sell, specifically and how:

OK, thanks to Lyman, we now know not to send common guns to ria. Only send elite guns. One man posted he sent very expensive Luger pistols, ria not co-operative, said don't worry, Results were terrible.Again, poor descriptions and the lot is sold in 30 seconds.The poor descriptions make it dangerous for seller and buyer.

Lyman has posted that he sells at his gun shop, at gun shows, and E-Bay, and GunBroker.

Re gunbroker and ebay: Should a reserve price be set? What about the starting bid price? And BIN - Buy it now price ? What works with these? Guns are expensive, not a 40 buck item. Buyer wants to steal it and you want their value.

It would seem that if you know your price, you could sell at cmp forum Buy or Sell section. Maybe , other gun sites have such sections. Such as Smith and Wesson Forums?....

Also, issues with fraud-not receiving actual , genuine payment. Item returned with the stock or parts swapped out. I have heard that it is difficult to cope with swapped parts, and that ebay protects the buyer and not the seller. Claims they never received item. Escrow companies?? Possible to receive payment via paypal or? There will be books at the library re selling on ebay that would address these issues. and maybe internet articles on ebay and gunbroker.

Also, if known that you have guns, at risk of theft. One burglar said that he just followed autos that had NRA stickers home. Some have been robbed at the point of sale. Home invasion and burglary.

Comments and advice would be so appreciated . How did you sell your guns. Where did you find your buyer?

Been selling off gradually as I go, keeping the best for last. Even bought a new one after selling 4, Always wanted a single actio army.