Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Default Cost of cigarettes: Avg $6.10 for pack of 20 in Ohio, also............

Cost is $20 usd in Australia. $1 in Pakistan.

Big profits to mfg co. and big tax revenue to the usa states.

I am not sure, but, possibly, Health Care costs are a fraction of the profits to the states via taxes.

Knew a wv man who had a tobacco allotment- he bought ready made and when he had a possible cancer scare, and it wasn't , he went right back to smoking. Always wondered if you could make a decent cig or cigar, if grew own tobacco.

In law smoked, 60, copd, on oxygen, died in hospital.

Neighbors rebel son smokes-will not quit

State run grass is very expensive. Very profitable for state. (Gambling is profitable for state also). Could raise your own in limited amts in some states. In others, will just seize your house and property, if catch you. I have read that police like to seize property and assets in many situations, and is very difficult to get prop and assets back-doesn't matter if cause does not exist. Profitable for police and communities and state. Courts, judges and lawyers like these situations.

Am just curious on these issues. I don't smoke tobacco or other. Am fortunate and unfortunate to have severe tobacco smoke allergy.

Edit: About 17 % of adults smoke in OH and 16 % of high school students in ohio during 2016.
    Edit: Coal miners black lung disease is caused by cigarette smoke paralyzing the cilia in lungs, so particulates are not slowly expelled from lung. Another hard way to die.
    Last edited by SUPERX-M1; 08-22-2020 at 02:03.

How many people have you seen riding an electric wheelchair with a plastic tube up their nose and smoking a cigarette?
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

Blog Entries

My wife quit smoking Pall Mall red in 1967 when it was 35 cents a pack...couldn't afford it. Two years later her lungs were clear, and are still healthy at 78.

A good friend of mine died of lung cancer in 1973 from smoking i watched him go from 175lbs to 65lbs in a hospital bed last time i saw him i walked out of his room through my cigarettes in the garbage can never smoked again i will be 70 in November i have clear lungs and feel good 175lbs good weight

5. Default

Never took it up myself, decided 60 years ago it was a stupid idea.
    I recall my Econ 101 instructor in college commenting on the lack of logic-the hypocrisy, he said-of legalizing something, taxing it heavily to discourage consumption-but expecting the tax revenue to be there and the wondering why it isn't.
    I have found smokers to be the most consistently inconsiderate people I have ever met.

6. Default

Mother had a friend on oxygen, smoking in the car. You know how this ends. Still smokes.

I'm 75, smoked since I was 12. As of last January my lungs are clear, no cigarrette hacking or lack of breathing well. I smoke my own cigs using pipe tobacco which does not have the chemicals in factory cigs. No cancer at all in my family. I smoke about 1 1/2 packs per day. Not all lung cancer is caused by cigs or the smoke from them. The people in those anti smoking TV ads who have deformities and such are suffering from other things besides cigs. BTW, making my own cigs cost about $0.70 per pack or $7.00 per carton.
    Last edited by Major Tom; 08-22-2020 at 01:44.

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    I'm 75, smoked since I was 12. As of last January my lungs are clear, no cigarrette hacking or lack of breathing well. I smoke my own cigs using pipe tobacco which does not have the chemicals in factory cigs. No cancer at all in my family. I smoke about 1 1/2 packs per day. Not all lung cancer is caused by cigs or the smoke from them. The people in those anti smoking TV ads who have deformities and such are suffering from other things besides cigs. BTW, making my own cigs cost about $0.70 per pack or $7.00 per carton.
    I had a very good and close friend die from lung cancer. He was 56 years old and had never smoked. He was a truck driver and had a wreck. His company policy required him to have a physical and the Dr's diagnosed the cancer. He was dead within 3 months.

No you don't have to smoke to have lung cancer. But smoking is a hazard and you have been lucky the genes you were gifted with have kept you safe. I don't climb bluffs, I don't have pictures of me hanging over a 1,000' canyon holding on with just one hand, I don't jump out of perfectly good airplanes and dare the chute to not open. Smoking is just another daredevil stunt where you are risking your life for no reason. Yes, I smoked from 16 years old till was 43. You can quit, and you and yours will be better off.

I did jump out of perfectly good airplanes when I was in the Army at Ft. Bragg, NC.

10. Default

The internet has many threads on rolling your own cigs, using bought pipe tobacco (threads on how to specially process the pipe tobacco so will work in a cig roller machine, diff between cig and pipe tobacco, taste,.... I did not read any article, but there they were.

My Mother said when she was young , she was foolish, and rolled cigs for her husband on a machine roller of some sort. We had a copper lined humidor-a little box on legs.

In the movie, Paper Moon, the 8 year old girl, played by Tatum O'Neal, rolled her own by hand.Ryan O'neal was in the movie also.Tatum ,in real life had a rough deal-dad and mom were/are neglectful,jealous narcissists. A very good movie, con man ryan turns tatum into a con artist , depression era . Worth watching.
    Last edited by SUPERX-M1; 08-23-2020 at 01:19.