1. Default CCI Copper 22 ammo works extremely well in Colt Ace .22 Conversion

For years I tried to find the “right” .22 ammo for my Ace Conversion. Lead shavings accumulated in the moving chamber of my Ace and clearing the mess was a pain. Some Ace conversion units don't have the problem, but most do and enthusiasm for the Colt Ace unit is understandably luke-warm. The conventional wisdom is to use plated high-speed ammo to reduce the leading problem. The problem is less with plated high-speed ammo, but my unit still leaded. Other fixes involve copious quantities of Break Free, lapping/polishing, etc.

Rather than trying some of the more extreme fixes, I kept searching for the “right” ammo. Alhough CCI's lead free Copper 22 ammo is a little expensive, I tried it and all the problems I was having disappeared. My conversion unit loves the stuff. I tied to find deposits in the moving chamber area after 150 rounds. MAYBE there was a tiny bit of dust where there used to appear toughly fused-in lead.....or was the dust just my imagination? The accuracy was also very good. I was apprehensive about possible damage to the extractor or timing issues but so far no problems. Has anyone else tried using Copper 22 ammo? If so how did it it work in your Ace?

First, I don't own a Colt Ace, but I think, overall, CCI is the best .22 US manufactured rim fire ammo you can find right now. Not only that all of my .22s shoot it well and with some, like my heirloom Harrington & Richardson Pioneer it's top of the heap. It shoots darn well in My S&W model 17 also.

Bottom line, I'm not surprised CCI copper works best. Too bad that considering how much copper is selling for now you probably can't recover the bullets.
    Last edited by Art; 11-22-2020 at 10:52.

Blog Entries

my understanding is the CCI SV is the darling of the Bullseye crowd,

works very well in most 22's at 25 and 50

You could try CCI Clean-22 Suppressor 22 LR that uses an advanced polymer bullet coating.