Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Painted magazine

The magazine on my newly-acquired SMLE had that black paint splashed unevenly on it. Pretty sure it's not supposed to be painted, so I stripped it of the paint and cold blued it. However, whatever they used to solder is brass-looking and the blue won't stick to it. What other way, besides painting, can I get a blued look throughout?
    IMG_1081.jpg
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

You might try a brass darking soulution.

https://www.amazon.com/Hardware-Co-B.../dp/B005TRO276

Just paint it black. Not uncommon.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

The mag and other metal parts on my 1944 No. 4 Mk 1* were originally brush painted with a flat black paint. JB explained that it was called Suncorite and was very toxic stuff. Nearly all of it had worn away by the time I bought the rifle several years ago. The mag was stamped from sheet metal and wasn’t brazed.
    Last edited by Merc; 08-17-2020 at 05:16.

Merc, Suncorite is tough as nails and dries to a somewhat shiney finish. Think black pipe. Commonly used in fire sprinkler systems. That is a version of Suncorite.

What is often found is the paint put on in service outside the direct control of the British military. What is very common to find is the paint applied in India. It has been said they painted from a puddle using a dirty mop.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Merc, Suncorite is tough as nails and dries to a somewhat shiney finish. Think black pipe. Commonly used in fire sprinkler systems. That is a version of Suncorite.

What is often found is the paint put on in service outside the direct control of the British military. What is very common to find is the paint applied in India. It has been said they painted from a puddle using a dirty mop.
    a very accurate description of the RFI methods JB!!

My No. 4 was made in the US by Savage. Would they have used Suncorite? I don’t remember it being shiny but much of it was worn away by the time I acquired the rifle. What was left on the mag and receiver wasn’t easily removed like regular paint.

Savage used a finish called Dulite. It may have looked old and worn through but willing to bet it was still there doing its job. With numerous issuings and varieties of service it encountered since, its hard to say what you might have before you now.

Is it possible to post some photos?

I wanted a specimen that would shoot. This one will. A hodge-podge of parts - mismatched furniture, early magazine cut-off, rear sight with windage adjustment, fairly new S. African barrel and marks. New to Enfields, so look forward to learning more about them. Just the ticket to keep me engaged in something enjoyable during this pandemic.EDIT: Oh, and I painted the magazine with flat enamel paint. Good enough for now.
    IMG_1086.jpgIMG_1085.jpgIMG_1084.jpgIMG_1083.jpgIMG_1082.jpg
    Last edited by Liam; 08-21-2020 at 08:24.
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    Savage used a finish called Dulite. It may have looked old and worn through but willing to bet it was still there doing its job. With numerous issuings and varieties of service it encountered since, its hard to say what you might have before you now.

Is it possible to post some photos?
    I looked around the Internet and found a site that had a pistol for sale with a Dulite finish. Another site called it Dulite Black Oxide and still another called it Du-Lite Bluing. The pistol’s finish was flat black but it looked more like a chemical treatment like bluing and not a thick brushed-on finish like the mag on my No. 4 originally had. Since most of the mags original finish was gone, I removed what little was left and applied cold bluing.

I kinda think my 1944 No. 4 had an extended career far beyond WW2. The Canadians may have overhauled it in the early 1950s and it went on serving in some way for many years, possibly in Canada. I bought it from the estate of a past commander of an American Legion post. I don’t shoot it very often because the throat is missing about a quarter inch of its rifling. I temporarily mounted a bolt-on scope and actually hit dead center bulls eye with it. I’d like to think it was more skill than luck. The missing rifling has not had much of an effect on its accuracy.