Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default Feral cats: Kill 1.3 to 4.0 billion birds annually;6.3 to 22.3 billion small mammals

Yes, feral cats and house cats freely roaming kill-we all know this.

www.smithsonianmag.com for an extensive article .

Prominently featured in article is Pete Marra - author of book Cat Wars. Head of Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center.

USA has 20 to 80 million feral cats. 80 million house cats. The toll on wildlife is astounding.

Cats transmit plague, rabies, feline leukemia, T.Gondii, the very dangerous to animals and people: Toxoplasmosis with 10 to 20 % of people having-causes brain damage..., 1.2 million tons of feces.

New Zealand plans to kill 2 million feral cats.
    Catch,neuter and release does not work well.

Pete Marra likes cats (as do I) but strongly feels that eliminating feral cats is the only workable solution. He receives serious threats and hate mail.

Feral cats are wild animals that are dangerous and cannot become socialized, lovable pets. They are not sweet kitty cats.They bring disease and death. They are miniature tigers that would kill you, if they were larger.

It is recommended that feral cats not be fed, or encouraged. That house cats be kept inside.

Well, this is sort of a free country, still. People will do as they will. But do you want to see birds flitting about, or a cat stalking one.

edit: Parents had a cat that brought home a rat bigger than she was. Another cat had a live rabbit that was frozen in shock but still not harmed.
    edit: Mother fed a stray,took to a no kill shelter, cat was adopted, showed up 8 mo later at her house,traveled at least 20 miles, She kept cat in separate building, about half socialized, had to be careful around or risk being clawed or bitten. Cats are very bad kittys unless socialized when young.
    Edit: New trend is to spend big bux on cat breeds from Africa, yes, real wild, not domesticated cats. Or hybrid cats. Imagine 80 million hybrids. Now, those would be killing machines. Some states prohibit owning. Like owning these very dangerous wolf-dog hybrids.
    Last edited by SUPERX-M1; 08-16-2020 at 04:10.

There is an excellent solution. It is inexpensive. It works. Used on all free roaming cats, will completely eliminate the problem. Contact me for my carefully developed instructional video. Accepted payment is cash (preferred) major credit cards, PayPal, etc. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Lead sleeping pills do work well Bruce as I am sure you would agree.

Re: Lead sleeping pills. Tuna!!! You are reading my mind!!! Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Well, there ya go! The cat's out of the bag!

they are a big problem where i live. "curiosity killed the cat" but for a long time in my neighborhood i was the prime suspect. i pushed that envelope as far as i could.

They say they taste just like chicken?

Animals don't have intentions. Only human beings have those. All animals from amoebas to chimpanzees are governed almost entirely by three things, eating, sleeping and reproducing, not necessarily in that order, so I've never understood hating an animal for characteristics it can't control.

With that out of the way, invasive species, including but not limited feral cats are a massive problem. I think the numbers in the OP are a SWAG but there is no doubt that cats kill a lot of songbirds, and indigenous mammals and reptiles. They also kill a lot of other invasive species, especially black rats and mice as well as European starlings and English sparrows. When I lived on a sugar plantation as a child the thing that concerned the landowner most wasn't cats. It was feral dogs pulling down his cattle, especially calves in the spring. He organized periodic dog hunts to control them. Since the rural locals back then seldom kept their dogs up pets were invariably killed in these dog hunts.

I'm a southerner who lives in Texas so here are the invasive species that are on my personal top ten list of shame in order from least damaging to absolute worst.

10. Exotic big game animals (I'm meddling here.) These critters compete with local big game. In the Texas Hill Country axis deer seem as common as rabbits in some places and they will displace whitetails. The good news is since they are not indigenous they can be killed any time of they year at any time of day at least in Texas. They are also yummy chow.

9. Tie - Rock pigeons, European Starlings and English Sparrows. These pest birds not only compete directly with indigenous species for food they can be destructive of crops. In New York City when I lived there in the 1970s pigeons were often referred to, appropriately, as "flying rats." These are some of the few birds that can be killed on sight in most states.

8. Boas and pythons, especially the Burmese python. These have been either released by or escaped from hobbyists. They have found a true home away from home in the Florida Everglades where they have no enemies except large adult alligators. They have been quite destructive of the local wildlife and the State of Florida is fighting a losing battle to control them, hamstrung in part by their own laws relating to wetlands.

7. Feral hogs. A plague on agriculture, including tree farming (they just love pine seedlings) they also will kill and eat livestock, especially poultry. They can also be very aggressive to people. Their only redeeming quality is they are good to eat. In Texas they are the only wild animal that can be killed without a hunting license.

6. Carp of any species. They vary from nuisance to unbelievably destructive. Another group brought in with good intentions. In Texas any grass carp caught has to be killed and gutted by law.

5. Feral dogs. They are numerous and destructive of both native wildlife and livestock. Landowners here will often require that hunters leasing their property kill any dog that isn't theirs on sight. Dogs, feral and other wise, also kill quite a few human beings every year.

4. Nutria, also sometimes referred to as nutria-rats. Very large semi aquatic burrowing rodents that were originally imported as a source of fur. Before alligators made a come back they had done incalculable damage to the vegetation of the coastal marshes in the south. They also largely displaced the indigenous musk rats. Nutria are also very aggressive. In Louisiana where rabbit hunting is a big deal many a beagle has mistakenly tracked an nutria and gotten severely cut up. In the New Orleans Metro area the police sometimes collect overtime at night patrolling canals in small boats and killing nutria that are undermining banks and roads.

3. Feral cats. See OP.

2. Zebra mussels, the most devastating aquatic invasive species in Texas and a whole lot of other places. They have no redeeming value and have a catastrophic effect on any body of water they are found in. They have severely degraded Lake Texaoma. Once they are in a body of water they are there for good.

1-A. The black or Norway Rat. Not only are these incredibly prolific rodents destructive of everything they come in contact with, but their reputation as a disease carrier is very well earned.

1. Fire ants. Not only do they mess up your yard and hurt when they bite but they have played a large part in the decimation of indigenous species from quail to horned lizards. They can be deadly to youngsters, both humans and livestock. Some of the animals on the list may have some apologists but fire ants should have stayed in South America where they belonged.

In my humble opinion anybody who kills anything on this list is doing a public service, so much the better if the critter happens to be tasty.
    Last edited by Art; 08-16-2020 at 03:58. Reason: Grammar, typos

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Art View Post
    In New York City when I lived there in the 1970s pigeons were often referred to, appropriately, as "flying rats." These are some of the few birds that can be killed on sight in most states.
    If so, it was a mis-use of the term. The true "flying rats" are sea-gulls, which is a gross misnomer as they can be found anywhere there's water, or a garbage dump, hundreds of miles inland. All species are voracious predators of other nesting birds (including other gull species), with mouths capable of swallowing whole prey far larger than you'd think physically possible, such as sea-turtle hatchlings. Not only do they THRIVE on human disruption of the environment, but they are a federally protected species!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERX-M1 View Post
    Yes, feral cats and house cats freely roaming kill-we all know this.

www.smithsonianmag.com for an extensive article .

Prominently featured in article is Pete Marra - author of book Cat Wars. Head of Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center.
    I have a large file of articles like this, because similar research has been conducted time & again over the last hundred yrs; their devastating impact on native wildlife is beyond scientific dispute, yet in many places bleeding hearts stifle all attempts by wildlife agencies to control them. (As with another destructive pest, feral horses, which drive native wildlife away from scarce food & water sources in the desert West; of all the federal boondoggles ever enacted into law, the Wild Horses Act tops the bill.)

And many of the cats doing this damage aren't truly feral, they're merely household pets allowed to roam free, but fed by their owners every day. A cat is driven to hunt by instinct, not hunger.