Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default M1 Carbine Loading

Hello,

I'm loading LC M1 Carbine brass (from CMP long ago). Does anyone have experience getting the most life out of these cases? Do they generally split at the mouth, or fail at the case head? Will annealing help? I know annealing will only help the mouth, but if that's not where they fail, it won't help.

I'm up to my 3rd load, few problems. I'm using a Dillon 550 with mostly RCBS dies, but expanding the mouth with the Dillon powder measure/funnel and taper crimping in a separate step at the 4th station.

My main question would be about case life and whether annealing will help.

Thanks.

cant help you but i have some brand new (USGI?) 110g .30 carbine bullets im not using, nor do i see a use in the future, if youre interested...

If using jacketed bullets, you may get longer case life by eliminating any unnecessary mouth expansion ("belling") and the crimp operation. A normal chamfer on the case mouths should allow easy seating with jacketed - no crimp needed. If using cast (which some advise against because of possible gas port/piston/cylinder lead fouling) expand mouths only enough to permit seating without shaving lead and apply just enough crimp to straighten case mouths.

I've been reloading 30 carbine for decades and never have had a case failure. Now I've lost a bunch.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Quote Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
    I've been reloading 30 carbine for decades and never have had a case failure. Now I've lost a bunch.
    Sounds like another problem then than the cases.

A dirty or rough bore causing increased pressure?

Gas piston vent hole plugged causing excessive pressure? Cylinder needing to be cleaned?

Different primers than used previously?

Ditto for the powder or perhaps just the lot your current powder was manf under? Have you tried a different powder?

Some (the ones that failed) cases being loaded too many times?

On a side note I have some once fired 50BMG brass LC 2007. Shot once by the military and never reloaded. Some are split at the mouth or neck. I read where these particular cases manf by LC in 2007 had this problem due to the brass being too hard.
    Last edited by Gun Smoke; 08-14-2020 at 06:13.

WW2 brass is getting old and brittle with age. I have had old unfired rounds that split when fired because of the age of the brass. It also seemed that it was brass that was head stamped PC (made under Remington control.) and some LC. I have also has a few steel cases marked EC for Evensville Chrysler that split too. Just old age catching up to them like the rest of us old farts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    WW2 brass is getting old and brittle with age. I have had old unfired rounds that split when fired because of the age of the brass. It also seemed that it was brass that was head stamped PC (made under Remington control.) and some LC. I have also has a few steel cases marked EC for Evensville Chrysler that split too. Just old age catching up to them like the rest of us old farts.
    Agree, but he said he had been reloading carbine brass for decades so I assumed some recent reloading has been done.

Annealing will soften the brass on the mouth/neck and reduce or stop the splitting. If I ever get around to reloading those 50BMG mentioned above that is exactly what I will have to do. I've never heard of anyone annealing the base and in most cases you don't want the base softened.

Might be time to cull the WW11 stuff though from the newer ones.

8. Default

Thanks para. I'm using Hornady FMJ and also Berry plated. I think I have some LRN stashed away somewhere or I might have given it away. My 'beller' is probably still set for LRN bullets so maybe I'll reduce the bell a little...that's a good idea.

I haven't had any case failures yet (the most I've loaded any is 3 x) and I want to keep it that way...once they start going bad...that's too late.

Thanks again.

9. Default

"To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy"

That is consistent with the other SAC policy, "No good deed goes unpunished."

SACumcised 1986
    KC-135A (WaterWagon/SteamJet) Nuclear Ground Alert, 1987-1990
    Global Shield
    Cope Thunder
    Pony Express
    Giant Something-or-Other
    Russian Bear Strip Alert Eilson
    Something Secret with RC-135s off the coast of a Russian-speaking nation
    B-1B IOC
    AF1, T'Bird missions 1989
    F-117s 1987 until declassified in 1989 (I cannot confirm or deny the existence of Area 51)
    Upon arrival at my first duty station, I walked into a SAC unit that had JUST failed its ORI. Got pushed into a Commander's Call. The Wing King got on the stage, paced for a minute or two, then turned to the squadron and said "I'm gonna kill every effin' one of you!" There goes HIS star! (Welcome to SAC!)
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by XLF30 View Post
    "To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy"

That is consistent with the other SAC policy, "No good deed goes unpunished."

SACumcised 1986
    KC-135A (WaterWagon/SteamJet) Nuclear Ground Alert, 1987-1990
    Global Shield
    Cope Thunder
    Pony Express
    Giant Something-or-Other
    Russian Bear Strip Alert Eilson
    Something Secret with RC-135s off the coast of a Russian-speaking nation
    B-1B IOC
    AF1, T'Bird missions 1989
    F-117s 1987 until declassified in 1989 (I cannot confirm or deny the existence of Area 51)
    Upon arrival at my first duty station, I walked into a SAC unit that had JUST failed its ORI. Got pushed into a Commander's Call. The Wing King got on the stage, paced for a minute or two, then turned to the squadron and said "I'm gonna kill every effin' one of you!" There goes HIS star! (Welcome to SAC!)
    Thanks
    Not really anything to do with the post but understand your post having served 11 years in SAC OPs.
    Last edited by m1ashooter; 08-14-2020 at 09:07.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy