Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August 6, 1945

1. Default August 6, 1945

The B-29 Enola Gay-named after the pilot's mother-with Paul Tibbetts and Robert Lewis of the 509th Composite Group at the controls-drops the Little Boy on Hiroshima.

An thus began the nuclear age!

The two bombs probably saved my uncles life. I'm good with the use of them.
    To Error Is Human To Forgive Is Not SAC Policy

Quote Originally Posted by m1ashooter View Post
    The two bombs probably saved my uncles life. I'm good with the use of them.
    Was your uncle a fair trade? I hope he was exceptionally productive.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

[QUOTE=dryheat;592000]Was your uncle a fair trade?

Yes, his uncle was saved as well as millions of other lives! The Japs brought it all on themselves by murdering hundreds of thousands of people.

6. Default

The day the Sun came down and touch the Earth!!

These bombs were not ready for use against the Germans. Had they been ready, they would have been used. Happily they were ready for use against Japan. They were used. The direct result was that the Second World War was brought to a quick and complete end. Many many millions of lives were saved, both US servicemen as well as Japanese servicemen and civilians. It was the most humane resolution possible to what was the most extreme destructive war in the history of the world. May God grant that it will never again ever be necessary to use such weapons. If they are ever used in any capacity, it will not be a limited exchange. The consequences will be horrific and global. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

Took my kids to the Smithsonian's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center last week. Just opened since advent of COVID. Lots of work being done, much material covered/unseeable, and a limited number of people allowed in at once. Still, nice to have something educational to do. The Enola Gay is there. You can look right into the cockpit from 8 feet away.
    IMG_5105.jpg
    "Wars are, of course, as a rule to be avoided; but they are far better than certain kinds of peace." - T.R.

WHAT THE JAPS DID AT nangking (spelling) they deserve everything they got.

10. Default

If the bombs worked as well as they thought they would some at the time argued that a strategic bombing campaign against Japan with nuclear weapons would eliminate the need for an invasion. In his "Jewel Voice" broadcast announcing Japan's acceptance of the Potsdam Declaration, Hirohito acknowledged that such a campaign could lead to the extinction of the Japanese as a nation and a people.