Default 1902 Krag - Any Insight Welcome

From the back of the gun locker comes my 1902 Krag. Another I am not sure where it came from! I have not looked at this for at least 15 years, and welcome any insight. Things noted -

• stock shows signs of poor storage
    • Cartouche dated 1902
    • SN 384353
    • Windage adjustment stuck

A few more pics at this link
    Krag Album

50187269572_8559e95738_z.jpg

Any insight or observations welcome.
    Last edited by Mgmks; 08-04-2020 at 10:06.

Looks complete and correct to me. Nice rifle - rear sight probably just needs a little WD40. Nothing there to jam but the lever can get 'stuck' if overtightened.

"1902" always gets my attention, as that is the year they made 100 arms for trial with 26" barrels, in a range just slightly above yours. So far, I've found two (388786 and 389182) but they both have issues.

Nice rifle . . . .

I used the very same model in competition . . .that rear sight (model 1902) allowed me to go “clean” a few times in prone and sitting positions.

I hope you first loosened the locking cam at the extreme front of the moveable base, before attempting to adjust windage . . .Yes?

Nice looking model 1898 Krag, assembled around March to May, 1902.

Rear sight is actually a model 1901 sight.

A little penetrating oil (around the front pivot-screw & lever) and a light tap (on the right-side of the lever, with a plastic mallet), should move the lever to the left to un-lock the 'movable base'.

Right you are, butler . . . .brain fade here!

Sight is just fine! A little Kroil and a very light tap and the cam was free.

I need to dig deep into the reloading supplies - and get some range time - maybe retirement IS an option!

50193933836_1d5e84569c_b.jpg

50194191752_bc54d9c6b4_z.jpg

The .30-40 Krag cartridge is a gem to reload. There is lots of loading data and new Winchester brass is available from Graf & Sons and others. Keep pressures down and Neck-Size cases; Brass will last.

I like using 165 to 180 grain jacketed projectiles, moving about 2,200 to 2,400 fps. It is not a fussy cartridge.

That's a good-looking rifle. If the barrel is good,they can be very accurate, and the little peep sight lets you home in on anything you can see through it. If you are shooting at 100 yards/M you will probably want a taller front sight blade. Some members here have had pretty good luck with hard-cast bullets made from old wheel weights.

Good luck!

jn

Mgmks . . . .

FWIW . . . .

Here’s the load I used in competition back in the day . . . .VERY MILD LOAD!!!

38 grs. IMR 4895, 190 gr. Hornady Match, COAL 3.3” (Too long for magazine so, SINGLE LOAD only!)

Easy on the rifle AND the shoulder!!

Good Luck! —Jim

Pulled out my reloading notes. First .30-40 Krag notes are 08-FEB-1998, which means I got the rifle here in Kansas as I moved here in 1988. Last reloading note was 02-FEB-2002. Thinking there are a total of about 180 rounds reloaded, about fifty should be loaded and ready to go!

147gr FMJ, 36.2gr IMR3031 in all cases. No notes as to OAL, and the targets and notes were not found (yet). Noted as "Very Mild"